• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor Leaving? Has left!

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
My memory might be wrong but I recall an interview with Julian Tagg just a few months back that he had people in mind, if Matt Taylor moved on, so I'd expect a prompt announcement if MT does leave.
That was when Dan Green was still at the club....

dontpassback

Garrard is the Boreham Wood manager.
Thanks

dontpassback

Andy Woodman 🤔
Isn’t that the same andy woodman,who got sent off playing for us,and then slagged us off in a book he co wrote with his buddy southgate,no thanks !

Average Joe

Our first team coach who we’ve recently signed should give step in until we find the right man, he’s got lots of experience up and down the leagues and could do the job

supernova

Gary Johnson?

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Losing MT is a difficult one to take. It can feel a bit disorientating when your leader leaves suddenly and a successor isn't in place.

For me what's most disheartening is I truly believe MT would have stayed if he thought he could take us further, but the reality is he knew, under the current model and after the painfully difficult transfer window, that just keeping ECFC in L1 was going to be a real challenge. He's clearly ambitious and has grown in to a tactically strong manager who appeared to have good man management skills. He leaves on a high and unlike Tisdale I think he will succeed.

We seriously need to review our options regarding the model and structure of the club if we want to progress to the next level but that's a story for another thread.

dontpassback

Wayne Carlisle? I'm sure he's been mentioned but I haven't read through the whole thread.

andrew p long

Not necessarily. Of course this situation is ripe for the conspiracy theorists in our midst but for me it's simply down to a very tempting offer to a man who obviously is ambitious and has shown he is a good manager. Simples.
Yes, the position re the budget etc is pretty straightforward. MT agreed to and understood the budget he was given for the summer.

Sadly unexpectedly high inflation in wages for players at top end League Two/bottom of League One blew us out of the water (largely caused by increasing numbers of wealthy owners like at Wrexham throwing money at players at the level we were looking)

Nobody to blame, no rows. But - and its a massive but - MT got a taste of how his hands would always be tied. Built a successful team on limited money for League Two, but would always be facing a terrible struggle to put a strong enough team together in League One.

Alistair20000

Wayne Carlisle? I'm sure he's been mentioned but I haven't read through the whole thread.
Rumoured to be departing with KMT