• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor Leaving? Has left!

Matt Phillips

Out of curiosity in intrigued to know if the fans feel MT has left on good terms?
I assume the question is about the Club Board rather than the fans. I'd say definitely yes, but they've completely ballsed up his exit. As soon as that tweet went out from the Trust account, they should have brought the official announcement forward and left the tributes to later. We don't need a Nick Hawker press conference to get this official.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Are we going to have a So Long and thanks for all the Fish thread for Matt, or post our tributes on here?

Average Joe

Sorry, I always feel like I'm quoting your posts and I don't want you to think I'm attacking you but what are you talking about? How would anyone possibly think he has left on bad terms?
No it's fine.

I was just wondering if anyone out there had ill feelings to him leaving us right now. It's clear there won't be many, if any at all.

simcity

I agree with you, i was saying exactly the same thing when we first appointed Taylor. I don't know if we just got lucky with him or it was a calculated board decision. I'll guess we will find out the direction the club intends to go with this appointment.
I think the club could get away with the Taylor appointment. At the time the club/fanbase was in a really toxic place come the end of Tis' reign so to appoint a club legend and fans favourite who had already been successful as U23s manager and as part of the first team coaching staff was always going to get the fans more united which is what the club needed that summer.

Plus at that time we were in L2 and weren't in any real danger of a relegation battle as the core of the squad was a solid L2 squad and we knew any new manager would've been given time to build his own squad etc so appointing Taylor was a free hit!

I don't think we're in the same position now, if it's Nicholson that we were to internally appoint I don't think he has had the U23 experience/success MT did so him hitting the ground running in L1 is unlikely in my opinion. Plus he's not exactly going to be a manager that is going to inspire the fans like MT did...

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
No it's fine.

I was just wondering if anyone out there had ill feelings to him leaving us right now. It's clear there won't be many, if any at all.
I don't see how anyone could have any ill feelings towards him.

Always been very upfront and honest about everything, he got us promoted and to a decent early position in league 1. He's had an offer that he was open and honest about - good luck to him, he will be a huge loss but I genuinely hope he does really well.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
It was only a year ago I was saying if MT didn't get us promoted it was time for someone else to have a go.

He succeeded, realised he could take us no further, and has moved on to benefit his own career. Fair enough. Thank you for your efforts, but you're no longer a Grecian, you are now a Miller and we look forward not backwards. No time for sentiment we need to rally the troops, regroup, and immediately focus on Barnsley away which is now more important than Matt Taylor the Rotherham manager.

grecIAN Harris

Out of curiosity in intrigued to know if the fans feel MT has left on good terms?
He come the conspiracy theorists.🤨 Why wouldn't he? Oh, I forgot. Hell has to freeze over before somebody departs City's employ without having fallen out with chairman/manager/captain/fans (delete as appropriate). The question is, why do you think he hasn't because you wouldn't be asking the question if you thought he had?

Cowshed Grecian

I think the club could get away with the Taylor appointment. At the time the club/fanbase was in a really toxic place come the end of Tis' reign so to appoint a club legend and fans favourite who had already been successful as U23s manager and as part of the first team coaching staff was always going to get the fans more united which is what the club needed that summer.

Plus at that time we were in L2 and weren't in any real danger of a relegation battle as the core of the squad was a solid L2 squad and we knew any new manager would've been given time to build his own squad etc so appointing Taylor was a free hit!

I don't think we're in the same position now, if it's Nicholson that we were to internally appoint I don't think he has had the U23 experience/success MT did so him hitting the ground running in L1 is unlikely in my opinion. Plus he's not exactly going to be a manager that is going to inspire the fans like MT did...
Exactly...I don't think hes a good choice, if he loses a few matches straight away then the Fans are going to start rightly questioning it. Its not a free hit now is it, we are quite capable of staying in L1....took us long enough to get back here, lets not feck this up!

iscalad

He come the conspiracy theorists.🤨 Why wouldn't he? Oh, I forgot. Hell has to freeze over before somebody departs City's employ without having fallen out with chairman/manager/captain/fans (delete as appropriate). The question is, why do you think he hasn't because you wouldn't be asking the question if you thought he had?
Maybe he fell out with himself.....

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nothing on either Club site but it does all make the 4.00 p.m press conference which I guess both Clubs have agreed to a bit of a nonsense given that the news has been out there in the main stream media for the last hour or so.