• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Mince Pies the good the bad and the downright disgusting

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Quite partial to a mince pie and like to try a few different ones to give them a marks out of ten score

So far this year Sainsburys seem to have dropped the ball with their 6 pack selection of pies although they were pretty much filled to the brim the taste wasn't right for me 4/10

The Morrisons cheap versions seem to be spot on as were their puff pastry versions for taste of filling the 6 pack would get an 8/10 and the in store puff pastry ones would get a 7.5/10

Tesco next to see what theirs are like , Anyone else have any opinions on this years delicacy ?

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Quite partial to a mince pie and like to try a few different ones to give them a marks out of ten score

So far this year Sainsburys seem to have dropped the ball with their 6 pack selection of pies although they were pretty much filled to the brim the taste wasn't right for me 4/10

The Morrisons cheap versions seem to be spot on as were their puff pastry versions for taste of filling the 6 pack would get an 8/10 and the in store puff pastry ones would get a 7.5/10

Tesco next to see what theirs are like , Anyone else have any opinions on this years delicacy ?
0/10. Horrible things.

STURTZ

Travelling g home from City I am often forced to stop off at Waitrose in Okehampton. Wife loves mince pies and usually starts stocking up in September. This week got some of Heston Blumenthal's spicey mince pies with a lemon twist. Interesting version on a well worn theme, the pastry is quite hard with a crumble top. Filling is pretty standard to my mind, is quite lemony. 7/10

Antony Moxey

You mean Mrs Ramone doesn’t make them? Homemade mince pies beat shop bought pies all day long.

Reactions: DB9

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
You mean Mrs Ramone doesn’t make them? Homemade mince pies beat shop bought pies all day long.
Been together over 25+ years and she will be the first to admit she isnt the cook in the house and tbh I've never thought about doing my own , Maybe I'll give it a go this year.

Antony Moxey

Been together over 25+ years and she will be the first to admit she isnt the cook in the house and tbh I've never thought about doing my own , Maybe I'll give it a go this year.
Genuinely shocked by that! Once you’ve made your own you’ll never go back to shop bought rubbish, I guarantee that.

Oldsmobile-88

Genuinely shocked by that! Once you’ve made your own you’ll never go back to shop bought rubbish, I guarantee that.
My dear old gran made the best ever.
She also made Christmas Cakes for the whole family.

Reactions: DB9

Colesman Ballz

You are Mary Berry and I claim my five quid ! :cool:

Alistair20000

Agree 100%

Do you or Mrs Ant bake them and do you have a signature recipe ?

fred binneys head

Love ‘em. Never made my own but interested in Ye Olde Moxey Recipe.