• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

MK Dons versus Exeter City Official Matchday Thread

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jevs work in the build up to the penalty deserves praise. Three men on and yet he comes away with the ball. Amazing footwork!

Mr Jinx

I think he did get the ball, hence why their players were so angry with the decision. I think the penalty was given because he also played the man and took Nombe out at the thigh. Anyway, 2-0 is all we need to remember about yesterday’s game.
Really? Even after watching the replay?

JW57++

I think he did get the ball, hence why their players were so angry with the decision. I think the penalty was given because he also played the man and took Nombe out at the thigh. Anyway, 2-0 is all we need to remember about yesterday’s game.
Looking at the replay the defender seems to connect with Nombe before the ball. Without that connection he is not going to have been able to touch the ball.
We rode our luck yesterday but grew in confidence and, despite my normal pessimism, I thought we were more and more comfortable as the game progressed.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
How so? Nombe was scythed down, and their players didn't touch the ball. If they'd have got the slightest of touches then no it's not a pen. How the ref could be certain there was no touch is another thing. VAR would've vindicated his decision. VAR would've also given the Collins shout too.
Had a good view of both incidents from the tunnel area. The defender went through Nombe to get to the ball (a view held by the MK people around me), and Archie was clearly being pulled back as he entered the box.

fred binneys head

Really? Even after watching the replay?
Yes, at the time I thought it was soft, but watching the replay I think the defender makes contact with Nombe’s thigh before he makes contact with the ball.

andrew p long

I think this is right. When I was a lad if a defender got the ball then no penalty - even if in the process/slide the defender wiped out the forward.

Nowadays if if you take out both man and ball its a penalty.

Interestingly the MKDons commentators were up in arms when the penalty was given. Then at half time they had a look at the replays and said 'actually its not as clear cut as we thought' (translation 'actually he did catch Nombe as well as the ball')

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just re watched highlights and Nombe was involved in both goals - if it wasn't for his tracking back to defend from the front Jev wouldn't have been on the end of that "clever MK Dons back pass" !

Rosencrantz

Jevs work in the build up to the penalty deserves praise. Three men on and yet he comes away with the ball. Amazing footwork!
The ball into him from Rakeem is also want you want to be seeing from a midfielder. A progressive pass, at good pace, breaking the lines and giving Jev the opportunity to run at their defence. You want the opposition running back towards their own goal rather than playing in front of them. A quick decisive counter attack without the ball leaving the floor.

Mr Jinx

Looking at the replay the defender seems to connect with Nombe before the ball. Without that connection he is not going to have been able to touch the ball.
We rode our luck yesterday but grew in confidence and, despite my normal pessimism, I thought we were more and more comfortable as the game progressed.
Must've watched it 50 times now, I still don't see any contact with the ball by an MK player.

grecIAN Harris

The ball into him from Rakeem is also want you want to be seeing from a midfielder. A progressive pass, at good pace, breaking the lines and giving Jev the opportunity to run at their defence. You want the opposition running back towards their own goal rather than playing in front of them. A quick decisive counter attack without the ball leaving the floor.
The sort of pass I was refering to earlier to with fred. It's nothing spectacular and quite easy to go unnoticed but it is progressive.