• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Morecambe v Exeter City Matchday Thread.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
MoM Sweenze for me just because of run out of defence to score our goal

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm happy with a point in what I see as a transition point in our shape. Caldwell wants a chance to play four at the back, no fault of his our squad is built on 3 at the back.

If we'd wanted a clone of Matt Taylor with should chosen Kevin Nicholson, new managers new ideas, thats the way it goes. Personally can see progress with these new ideas.

Must say though, we must be f@king good if we can omit the sublime creative talents of the God that is Jevanni Brown.
But why change to four at the back if you have a squad built for three at the back. I don't expect the new manager to be a clone of Matt Taylor and slavishly copy everything he did but I also don't understand the point of making unnecessary changes to a system that was already working well. Since we pretty much permanently switched to a back three at the turn of the year that formation has not just got us promoted but also taken us to the fringes of the League One play-offs so why not just keep playing the same way.

DJG.ECFC

I agree, I thought GC called it perfectly tonight, we just needed a bit more luck or composure in attack. We were superb tonight.
This has to be a wind up? Think some of you need to take your rose tinted glasses off and stop defending Caldwell. Terrible decision to start with 6 recognised defenders on the pitch against a poor side who have scored the least amount of goals in the division this season. He seems determined to change the way we play even though it was working nicely before he arrived, hence why the defence has been all at sea recently as the formation and style has completely changed. He’s had 9 games now I believe so things should be coming along now but it’s not improving.

It’s Absolutely ridiculous how bad our defence has been since he arrived given how defensive minded he is, he won’t even play our 3 in form top quality forwards at the same time anymore and seems intent on rarely using a cf behind the 2 strikers which obviously worked so well for us under MT with the players we’ve got.
Nombe stanno and jev should be the first 3 names on the team sheet given their quality and form, not in and out of the team replacing each other.

DJG.ECFC

But why change to four at the back if you have a squad built for three at the back. I don't expect the new manager to be a clone of Matt Taylor and slavishly copy everything he did but I also don't understand the point of making unnecessary changes to a system that was already working well. Since we pretty much permanently switched to a back three at the turn of the year that formation has not just got us promoted but also taken us to the fringes of the League One play-offs so why not just keep playing the same way.
Exactly. Caldwells obviously so arrogant that’s he’s intent on forcing his own style and putting his mark on the team even though it’s clearly not what’s best for the players we’ve got. If he wants to change things it should be a gradual process not forcing a team that plays 5-2-1-2 to a flat 4-4-2 midway through a season. Also at the expensive of leaving one of our top quality forwards out of the squad.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
This has to be a wind up? Think some of you need to take your rose tinted glasses off and stop defending Caldwell. Terrible decision to start with 6 recognised defenders on the pitch against a poor side who have scored the least amount of goals in the division this season. He seems determined to change the way we play even though it was working nicely before he arrived, hence why the defence has been all at sea recently as the formation and style has completely changed. He’s had 9 games now I believe so things should be coming along now but it’s not improving.

It’s Absolutely ridiculous how bad our defence has been since he arrived given how defensive minded he is, he won’t even play our 3 in form top quality forwards at the same time anymore and seems intent on rarely using a cf behind the 2 strikers which obviously worked so well for us under MT with the players we’ve got.
Nombe stanno and jev should be the first 3 names on the team sheet given their quality and form, not in and out of the team replacing each other.
Fun fact. Matt played the fab three from the start only twice before he left. Then it was only because of the midfield injuries to Kite and Dieng which opened up a choice between Stanno and Kegs for the FGR game. Our better early season performances came with a 3-5-2 system with three out and out midfielders playing. Since he has come in, Caldwell has largely stuck with that system or the three up front. Tonight was the first time he has gone away from it from the start and played a back four. So the formation hasn't really changed. The defence was already struggling before for obvious reasons of availability.

Whilst we all might have done things differently to Caldwell since he came, everyone knew the run of games he had to start with was a difficult one. And it isn't due to get any easier for this month. There is a danger that he might be trying to change too much, too quickly. There is also the danger of being entrenched in judgement too quickly as well.

Cowshed Grecian

Watched on iFollow. My only concern is Caldwell is tinkering and I don’t think he needs too. Don’t try and be too clever, it is simple it’s already laid out for him from The job Taylor Did where best suits these players positionally.

Cowshed Grecian

Poor result. More poor decisions and a bizarre line up from Caldwell. Must be almost 10 games now for Caldwell and these stupid decisions are adding up now for me, Not convinced at all so far.
Give the bloke a chance perhaps, it’s hardy been disastrous so far.

Cowshed Grecian

A performance that built as the night went on. More composure around the penalty area would have seen three points but something to build on after last Saturday. Cheick looked to have gained confidence in the second half after a shaky first half. He just got back to basics.
I Thought Cheick was one of our best players tonight…looks back up to speed.

Cowshed Grecian

I'm happy with a point in what I see as a transition point in our shape. Caldwell wants a chance to play four at the back, no fault of his our squad is built on 3 at the back.

If we'd wanted a clone of Matt Taylor with should chosen Kevin Nicholson, new managers new ideas, thats the way it goes. Personally can see progress with these new ideas.

Must say though, we must be f@king good if we can omit the sublime creative talents of the God that is Jevanni Brown.
Progress? I’m not taking the ****…genuinely interested what your observation is with regards to that Sturz?

Cowshed Grecian

Mate we’ve been defensively crap all season, because somehow we didn’t recognise we needed more than 5 Senior CBs on the books!

Reactions: WXF