• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Newport County vs Exeter City, Matchday Thread

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've never been to Newport, but I've been through it twice on the train. At least I think I have, because I seem to remember the train taking Exeter City fans to Anfield for the League Cup fixture against Liverpool in 1979 was inexplicably diverted through there. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. I still have the programme from that game and the Liverpool team line-up is a list of legends. The City line-up isn't too shabby either.
Our starting eleven today might in the future prove to have quite a few Exeter City all-time greats. Safe journey to everyone making the trip and hopefully we'll put up the kind of fighting performance we gave on our last trip there, when we went down to ten men after 8 minutes, and nearly won the game but for a last gasp equaliser.

I'm sorry, I pressed 'return' too quickly. I started writing this when it was already Saturday here, then realised it wasn't Saturday there. Didn't mean to press 'enter'. I fully accept all responsibility for the forthcoming 4-0 defeat. If the mods are around, please feel free to delete.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've never been to Newport, but I've been through it twice on the train. At least I think I have, because I seem to remember the train taking Exeter City fans to Anfield for the League Cup fixture against Liverpool in 1979 was inexplicably diverted through there. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. I still have the programme from that game and the Liverpool team line-up is a list of legends. The City line-up isn't too shabby either.
Our starting eleven today might in the future prove to have quite a few Exeter City all-time greats. Safe journey to everyone making the trip and hopefully we'll put up the kind of fighting performance we gave on our last trip there, when we went down to ten men after 8 minutes, and nearly won the game but for a last gasp equaliser.

I'm sorry, I pressed 'return' too quickly. I started writing this when it was already Saturday here, then realised it wasn't Saturday there. Didn't mean to press 'enter'. I fully accept all responsibility for the forthcoming 4-0 defeat. If the mods are around, please feel free to delete.
If I remember correctly we were down to 9 before the end of the first half.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
If I remember correctly we were down to 9 before the end of the first half.
Oh yeah, Hartridge first, then Bowman got a red? Mad that we got anything from that.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
There were two Football Specials that ran that day from St David’s Station for that game,quite possible that they went via Newport South Wales due to scheduling. I was on one of the trains but can’t remember if the one I was on went by that route(not helped by a early start in the Windsor Hotel Bar opposite the station of course 😁)

A tough battle expected this afternoon, the Grecians are in good form plus having that little bit of luck that has been missing in recent campaigns at this stage of the season. Feeling confident of picking up a result, a draw would be welcomed.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
There were two Football Specials that ran that day from St David’s Station for that game,quite possible that they went via Newport South Wales due to scheduling. I was on one of the trains but can’t remember if the one I was on went by that route(not helped by a early start in the Windsor Hotel Bar opposite the station of course 😁)

A tough battle expected this afternoon, the Grecians are in good form plus having that little bit of luck that has been missing in recent campaigns at this stage of the season. Feeling confident of picking up a result, a draw would be welcomed.
Yup the train to Liverpool went on the 'scenic Wales" route that day. A point or better would be good. UTC & safe Grecian travels to all.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
2-1 win for our lads (Jevani and Tim) with Robbie Willmot and Scot Bennett having complete melts at the final whistle

robchave

Another huge game in our season. Newport appear to have been 'inconsistent'; scored a lot, but let quite a few in. I think it's going to be very tight. Anything is possible!
COYR!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It's cold out there! Hopefully it'll be warmer in Newport. 3 huge points please!

Jason's preview

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Looking forward to seeing a match on their new pitch, should suit our game as well.

Grecianpasty

I believe they have Courtney Baker-Richardson, josh pask and another influencial player out for today's game. However, they have bought in some players in loan who have slotted in well since January. They tend to get a lot of shots on goal in their games, so if we can nullify their attack Im sure we will get something out of the game.

Nows the time for Jay to play a blinder. All the best to everyone going!