• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Not exactly pulling up trees...

alsatian cousin

Where did this phrase come from? Why do so many posters use it? Am I the only one that get's annoyed whenever I see it?

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Where did this phrase come from? Why do so many posters use it? Am I the only one that get's annoyed whenever I see it?
One definition of pulling up trees is "travelling fast" so the phrase might mean travelling slowly.

I obviously don't look at enough posters as I have never seen this phrase on a poster. Hopefully it is not in evidence at SJP; at least not on posters.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Interesting, Alistair, thankyou.

Swanaldo

Am I the only one that get's annoyed whenever I see it?
Not as annoyed as I get when I see an extraneous apostrophe.

alsatian cousin

One definition of pulling up trees is "travelling fast" so the phrase might mean travelling slowly.

I obviously don't look at enough posters as I have never seen this phrase on a poster. Hopefully it is not in evidence at SJP; at least not on posters.

Is this a veiled implication that I have made a mistake in the spelling/punctuation of the word posters?

I haven't.

alsatian cousin

Not as annoyed as I get when I see an extraneous apostrophe.
Don't get this either. This states that you get annoyed when you see an apostrophe present when it has no business being there.

Is that what you meant?

Red the Paper

Banned
Is this a veiled implication that I have made a mistake in the spelling/punctuation of the word posters?

I haven't.
It really annoys me when posters use / rather than or.

STURTZ

I think it's the apostrophe in the word gets in your opening post, that is causing all the wailing and gnashing of teeth. Sad really,

Back to topic, Stan Ridgeway in his hit Camouflage has a line

And I knew there was somethin' weird about him,
'Cause when I turned around,
He was pullin' a big palm tree up outta the ground
And swattin' those Charlies with it from here to kingdom come

But I don't suppose that has anything to do with it!

Chorus:
Woah-oh-oh-oh, Camouflage
Things are never quite the way they seem
Woah-oh-oh-oh, Camouflage
This was an awfully strange (big) Marine

alsatian cousin

Don't get this either. This states that you get annoyed when you see an apostrophe present when it has no business being there.

Is that what you meant?
That's exactly what you meant ain't it?

Alistair20000

I haven't.
No implication against you or your post whatsoever and other criticism of an errant apostrophe seems rather picky. The only implication in my post concerning SJP was that certain things are travelling slowly; such as our progress up the LI table.