• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Not exactly pulling up trees...

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just spent a while trying to find a derivation for pulling up tress, actually managed to get this thread as first option on Google, no success, not known for giving up easily though, me.
I wonder if this is the first Exeweb thread to come up as a Google first option ?

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wonder if this is the first Exeweb thread to come up as a Google first option ?
Happens all the time, I am reliably informed. I am beginning to suspect that Exeweb is affiliated to Google in some way.

Last edited:

edindevon

Well whoopee f*cking do.

Utter B*ll*cks but no surprise in that from Anon or his batty bro, Sayers the C*nt.

Lincoln was paraphrasing Jefferson's input to the Constitution, 1776, well before Marx or any of them other commie w*nkers.

Now f*ck off and play with your toys.
Be nice ********, you'll end up with a virtual ASBO or something.

I think Jefferson may have been influenced by John Ball "The Mad Priest Of Kent", a leading protagonist in the Peasants' Revolt, who made a similar utterance way back in 1381, shortly before he was hanged. I wonder what he would have made of the MyFC/Ebsfleet situation?

If it's not too late to get back on topic, the phrase that seriously annnoys me comes from the automated tills in Tescos; "Unexpected Item In Basket", which not only masks their technical flaw by trying to infer that you are trying to steal something, but causes extra annoyance as you can't answer back.

Poultice

I think Jefferson may have been influenced by John Ball "The Mad Priest Of Kent",
I believe he got the idea from some Wop by the name of Philip Mazzei who was a bit of a thinker / doctor who he did give some credit to but then they fell out and it all went a bit fubar.

The essence of my initial point was of course flawed, it wasn't the Gettysburg Address which was of course a speech, but rather the constitution itself which contained the first written affirmation of the premise in question.

I have give up with the whole trees thingy now.

conker

Strangely, I've just been looking for the origin of the phrase "pulling up trees" and this thread was one of the first results.

Any help?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Strangely, I've just been looking for the origin of the phrase "pulling up trees" and this thread was one of the first results.

Any help?
It looks like we didn't get an answer, as usual it went off topic and descended into an argument. @Phil Sayers comes in for some stick.

The OPer hasn't been seen 2010 :(

iscalad

Any help?
Probably someone pulled up a tree to get to the conkers..

lamrobhero

Probably Ron Atkinson.

Spoonz Red E

Or some other feller.

lamrobhero

Ron Atkinson was the first person that I heard using the phrase "early doors". How can a door be early?