• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

*OFF* Charlton Athletic V Exeter City Sat 10th September 2022 Discussion and Prediction thread

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
All fixtures in Scotland still on at the moment.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
All eyes on the cricket now. Initially it seemed like the test match was going to continue but apparently that may change now all the football is off. The England captain has made it clear he wants to play.

Topsham Boy

Disgraceful decision. There is far too much disruption caused by this. The entire economy seems to be grinding to a halt because a 96 year old woman on welfare has died of natural causes. Broken Britain.
I think your comment about Broken Britain says more about you than the country. Have a word with yourself…..that word being respect.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Julie Harrington, chief executive of the British Horseracing Authority, said: “The return of racing on Sunday will see the running of the Cazoo St Leger, one of Britain’s five Classic races and a race which the Queen won with her filly Dunfermline in 1977. This will also provide an opportunity for the sport and its supporters to pay its respects to Her Majesty, for the contribution which she has made to the sport to be marked, and for racing to express its deep gratitude to her and sympathies to her family.”

Flags will fly at half-mast, jockeys will wear black armbands and a period of silence will be held before racing.
So racing goes ahead from Sunday to give the sport and its supporters 'the opportunity to pay their respects to the Queen', while football shuts up shop. Ridiculous.

WXF

If yesterday's news affects you then I fully respect and am sorry for your loss. If tomorrow was a state funeral or coronation then I could understand if matches were postponed due to the number of royalists in society. But we don’t suspend football matches nationally when horrendous atrocities or disasters happen. If anything, they go ahead and are used an opportunities to show respect or honour grief. Football authorities compelling others to relegate their interest in football to what for some amounts to fawning hero worship is pathetic. This is a bad decision (by authorities, not lay people who are royalists)

Oldsmobile-88

A pain for supporters who have shelled out on train tickets & accommodation(at all clubs) most I expect non returnable as is the norm for the best deals.

Supporters of course the last people to worry about by the EFL.

As others have mentioned, a minutes silence followed by the National Anthem(as happened at West Ham last night) would have been a fitting tribute from English Football.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
If yesterday's news affects you then I fully respect and am sorry for your loss. If tomorrow was a state funeral or coronation then I could understand if matches were postponed due to the number of royalists in society. But we don’t suspend football matches nationally when horrendous atrocities or disasters happen. If anything, they go ahead and are used an opportunities to show respect or honour grief. Football authorities compelling others to relegate their interest in football to fawning hero worship is pathetic. This is a bad decision (by authorities, not lay people who are royalists)
You raise some interesting points... I don't know the etiquette but if, as seems entirely possible, the funeral and the coronation take place on Saturdays what are the football authorities going to do then? With the World Cup in November and December, they don't have a whole lot of room for manoeuvre. Would have made much more sense to kick on this weekend, while providing ample opportunities for players and supporters to show their respects, mindful that it seems inconceivable fixtures will go ahead on the day of the Queen's funeral.

A pain for supporters who have shelled out on train tickets & accommodation(at all clubs) most I expect non returnable as is the norm for the best deals.

Supporters of course the last people to worry about by the EFL.

As others have mentioned, a minutes silence followed by the National Anthem(as happened at West Ham last night) would have been a fitting tribute from English Football.
Yep, I'm just trying to decide who I send my train ticket refund claim for tomorrow to. It's a choice between GWR, the EFL and Buckingham Palace.

tonykellowfan

I must admit I think this is an over reaction. Let's have a single day for her funeral that we all set aside to respect and remember her and pause the nation on that day.

IndoMike

It seems that postponing most sport tomorrow is having the opposite to the desired effect. Instead of functioning as a sign of respect, the postponements seem to be creating ire amongst supporters, with some posters even turning against the monarchy.
The Government should have said sport must go ahead or must be postponed, but they washed their hands in their usually cowardly way. Much better for the EFL to take the hit than the Govt.

Last edited: