• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Old MOTD & Big Match.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
A shocker for everyone waiting for the results on BBC1 9 0’Clock news.....”The Football League Champions are...Derby County.
Everyone was expecting Leeds or Liverpool to be crowned that Monday night 51 years ago. Leeds had a couple of penalties turned down for blatant hand ball offences.
Liverpool drew at Highbury. John Toshack having a goal disallowed for a very tight offside 2 mins from time.

One point separated the top 4 teams.

If fred were a Leeds follower he would be #stillfuming

Oldsmobile-88

Sunday 13th May 1972

West Germany v England in West Berlin the 2nd leg of the European Championship(Euros) finished 0-0. England were out after losing the first leg 3-1 at Wembley 2 weeks previously.
Gordon Banks 70th Cap, he would add 3 to the total in the next couple of weeks in the Home International Championship, who would have thought then that it was near the end of his international career, he was still very much No 1. A car accident resulted in the loss of a eye a few months later.
Banks was only on the losing side 9 times in his England career.

The graphic is missing the substitutes. Just 2 for internationals in those days. They were Martin Peters & Mike Summerbee replacing Rodney Marsh & Norman Hunter respectively.

D899889C-11AC-4C6D-B2C1-1893F2BFAE59.jpeg

lamrobhero

Sunday 13th May 1972

West Germany v England in West Berlin the 2nd leg of the European Championship(Euros) finished 0-0. England were out after losing the first leg 3-1 at Wembley 2 weeks previously.
Gordon Banks 70th Cap, he would add 3 to the total in the next couple of weeks in the Home International Championship, who would have thought then that it was near the end of his international career, he was still very much No 1. A car accident resulted in the loss of a eye a few months later.

The graphic is missing the substitutes. Just 2 for internationals in those days. They were Martin Peters & Mike Summerbee replacing Rodney Marsh & Norman Hunter respectively.

View attachment 11595
5 central defenders. Storey in midfield. Meanwhile West Germany and Holland were playing the beautiful game.

I saw Gordon Banks at SJP in a friendly v Stoke in the late 60s I think. I was miffed because he only played for one half - John Farmer played the other half and looked pretty good.

Oldsmobile-88

5 central defenders. Storey in midfield. Meanwhile West Germany and Holland were playing the beautiful game.

I saw Gordon Banks at SJP in a friendly v Stoke in the late 60s I think. I was miffed because he only played for one half - John Farmer played the other half and looked pretty good.
Yes, that was a odd line up from Sir Alf.

This was the start of the period of England falling out of the loop, eventually costing Sir Alf his job.
I loved the Dutch team of that era. Ajax were European Champions for a few years, we were starting to see them a bit on UK TV.
I remember the TV commentators & fans in the UK pronounced Ajax the same as the scouring powder advertised on TV commercials 😁

Oldsmobile-88

Sunday 13th May 1972

May 15th 1972

The fallout of Englands aggregate defeat against West Germany. The days when clubs were reluctant to release players for international duty.
Love the quote from the great German midfielder Günter Netzer “ My legs were well autographed”

BCB81A66-F53F-4C60-9391-F99B28BE98F9.png

Oldsmobile-88

Those were the days.. The Scots & English annual football match. They were always feisty, especially at Hampden Park. I always thought the Scottish team on this day in May 1974 was arguably the best ever. They won 2-0 in front of 94,000 rabid jocks.
It would have been many more, but post the Ibrox disaster with the subsequent inquiry, crowds were starting to be restricted in Scotlands major grounds.
The previous two England games at Hampden in 1970 & 1972 had crowds of 137,000 & 119,500 respectively.

Oldsmobile-88

20th June 1976

European Championship Final, Belgrade, Yugoslavia

Oldsmobile-88

22nd June 1986

I remember the evening well !

lamrobhero

20th June 1976

European Championship Final, Belgrade, Yugoslavia

Remember watching it at the time. I celebrated seeing West Germany defeated. Also post 1968, Czechoslovakia winning had a feel good factor.

Oldsmobile-88

Remember watching it at the time. I celebrated seeing West Germany defeated. Also post 1968, Czechoslovakia winning had a feel good factor.
It was rare to see Penalty shootouts at the time. Occasionally used in European Cup rounds from 1970 onwards.

The Euro Final had a replay date pencilled in for a couple of days later, but both teams wanted to settle the game with a penalty shootout.