• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Old MOTD & Big Match.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Leeds Utd, never the most popular teams amongst the general football public, would wave at the crowd before all games in this era. Something I’d forgotten about. Part of Don Revies rebranding of the club after years of negative headlines.
1973/74 was probably the best & most entertaining Leeds United.team in the clubs history.

lamrobhero

Leeds Utd, never the most popular teams amongst the general football public, would wave at the crowd before all games in this era. Something I’d forgotten about. Part of Don Revies rebranding of the club after years of negative headlines.
I remember this and I was reminded of it before the Sheffield Wednesday game when before the start of the match our team and manager came together and applauded the crowd. Are ECFC going down a similar path?

Oldsmobile-88

I remember this
It was almost like a charm offensive, their act on the field was cleaned up a bit too after endless run ins with Alan Hardaker, Secretary of the Football League.
He hated Don Revie, making Leeds play 2 days after their 1972 FA Cup win in that vital last game of the season at Wolverhampton, where a point would have given them the League Title. Just to rub salt into Revies wounds, Derby with Clough at the helm were League Champions.

lamrobhero

It was almost like a charm offensive, their act on the field was cleaned up a bit too after endless run ins with Alan Hardaker, Secretary of the Football League.
He hated Don Revie, making Leeds play 2 days after their 1972 FA Cup win in that vital last game of the season at Wolverhampton, where a point would have given them the League Title. Just to rub salt into Revies wounds, Derby with Clough at the helm were League Champions.
Yes I didn't like Leeds either until they beat Barcelona in The European Cup and I softened. The other thing I think I remember is that they had sock tie-ups with the relevant 1-11 number which they would hand out to the crowd, I think before kick-off.

Oldsmobile-88

Yes I didn't like Leeds either until they beat Barcelona in The European Cup and I softened. The other thing I think I remember is that they had sock tie-ups with the relevant 1-11 number which they would hand out to the crowd, I think before kick-off.
Yes, the numbered sock tie ups were unique. Iirc they would kick balls into the crowd when they came out.

I followed Leeds(from afar) in those days. I sent a team photo that was in Shoot magazine around 1972 to Elland Rd with a SAE & asking for it to be signed. I got it back fully signed about 10 days later.

lamrobhero

Yes, the numbered sock tie ups were unique. Iirc they would kick balls into the crowd when they came out.

I followed Leeds(from afar) in those days. I sent a team photo that was in Shoot magazine around 1972 to Elland Rd with a SAE & asking for it to be signed. I got it back fully signed about 10 days later.
As a young kid I went through a phase of writing to 1st Division Clubs with an SAE asking for autographs. They all obliged except one who sent me a price list (containing a price for an autograph sheet). Not sure who it was but I suspect Man Utd. My magazine of choice was "Inside Football" because of its newspaper format which I thought was more grown up. :)

Oldsmobile-88

As a young kid I went through a phase of writing to 1st Division Clubs with an SAE asking for autographs. They all obliged except one who sent me a price list (containing a price for an autograph sheet). Not sure who it was but I suspect Man Utd. My magazine of choice was "Inside Football" because of its newspaper format which I thought was more grown up. :)
Football Digest which was the same format as Readers Digest was good. Alas it finished in early 1975.

Rosencrantz

Wasn't all the PR stuff Leeds turned to and the sock tags down to Paul Trevillion. He was a sports illustrator/artist who I remember doing work for Roy of the Rovers in the 80's. I think he approached Don Revie to suggest they try to improve their image with the gimmicks.

Oldsmobile-88

Wasn't all the PR stuff Leeds turned to and the sock tags down to Paul Trevillion. He was a sports illustrator/artist who I remember doing work for Roy of the Rovers in the 80's. I think he approached Don Revie to suggest they try to improve their image with the gimmicks.
I believe that is correct Rosy..Also names on the back of the players tracksuits which was also a novelty back then.

Don Revie was ahead of the times when it came to marketing. Changing the traditional club colours from blue & yellow to all white in the early 1960s because Real Madrid the best team in Europe at that time had a all white kit.
Leeds was essentially a Rugby League City until he came along with different ideas to raise the profile of the club.

Rosencrantz

I believe that is correct Rosy..Also names on the back of the players tracksuits which was also a novelty back then.

Don Revie was ahead of the times when it came to marketing. Changing the traditional club colours from blue & yellow to all white in the early 1960s because Real Madrid the best team in Europe at that time had a all white kit.
Leeds was essentially a Rugby League City until he came along with different ideas to raise the profile of the club.
The Unforgiven by Rob Bagchi and Paul Rogerson is a good read. It's basically a look back on the Revie era by two Leeds fans. It is well written and very informative, especially for someone like me who wasn't around at that time so get the traditional view of dirty Leeds.