• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Old MOTD & Big Match.

lamrobhero

I checked on Grecian Archive, There was a friendly against Swindon in August 1973, but Dave Mackay had left the year before as had Don Rogers, Rogers went to Crystal Palace. He scored one of the goals in the 5-0 hammering of MU in Dec 1972 which lead to Frank O’Farrell getting the sack.
found it

https://grecianarchive.exeter.ac.uk/items/show/15669

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good find.
Just looking at another friendly that pre-season, against Argyle, a fella from the village where I lived (Exminster) Peta Balac, who was around 18 iirc replaced Jim Furnell in goal. I remember when Peta who lived in Gissons signed as a pro. He would come up to the playing field for a kick about on a Sunday.
Another professional from the village at the time was George Ley, who was at Portsmouth then Gillingham.

haka

Dave Kemp who was mentioned on another thread, scoring the 2nd Palace goal.

I wonder if our friend from Pompey remembers him from his time at Fratton Park for a couple of seasons after he left Crystal Palace ?
Is that Lee Roberts playing for Shrewsbury? He made his debut for them around that time.

haka

That's a good link, pre-season games tend to go missing on t'internet.

I remember Steve Stacey, and also the Bournemouth visit mentioned there, with graffiti in Southernhay ("Super Mac") and trouble in the Cowshed.

Oldsmobile-88

Is that Lee Roberts playing for Shrewsbury? He made his debut for them around that time.
I will check the Rothmans book for that season tomorrow.

Oldsmobile-88

I remember Steve Stacey, and also the Bournemouth visit mentioned there, with graffiti in Southernhay ("Super Mac") and trouble in the Cowshed.
I remember a load of Bournemouth ‘Skins’ causing a load of trouble on a Friday night game as they made their way from the Bus/Coach Station to the ground, that was a bit later thought, around 1975/76

Oldsmobile-88

It’s Ian Roberts...Lee had made is FL debut the season before.
He featured in 2 games in 1975/76, toward the end of the season.

Oldsmobile-88

Oldsmobile-88

At this game Joe Corrigan the Man City keeper got into a scrap with one of the many pitch invaders. The daft laws of the game now would result in his dismissal.
I remember this game, one of the first for Colin Bell after his 2 year lay off with a horrendous knee injury.
What a fantastic midfield player, unfortunately he could never regain his previous fitness & outstanding form, playing only a handful of games in the next season before retiring from the game at 32.

Oldsmobile-88

More Man City action, this time coming a cropper at a very muddy Shay...Manager Malcolm Allison lost his job at Maine Road on the back of the defeat.