• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Old MOTD & Big Match.

Exehausted

At this game Joe Corrigan the Man City keeper got into a scrap with one of the many pitch invaders. The daft laws of the game now would result in his dismissal.
I remember this game, one of the first for Colin Bell after his 2 year lay off with a horrendous knee injury.
What a fantastic midfield player, unfortunately he could never regain his previous fitness & outstanding form, playing only a handful of games in the next season before retiring from the game at 32.

And that's how to take a penalty. A proper run up at pace and bang! None of the stuttering or two pace kicks we get now, a lot of which seem to miss or be saved.

lamrobhero

At this game Joe Corrigan the Man City keeper got into a scrap with one of the many pitch invaders. The daft laws of the game now would result in his dismissal.
I remember this game, one of the first for Colin Bell after his 2 year lay off with a horrendous knee injury.
What a fantastic midfield player, unfortunately he could never regain his previous fitness & outstanding form, playing only a handful of games in the next season before retiring from the game at 32.

I started watching Man City home matches regularly at this time. Colin Bell's return coincided with a long run which was either winning or just unbeaten I can't remember which. The previous season they were runners up in the League but this season they were off the pace and Malcolm Allison's return was not far away. My main memory is of some European ties against Italian teams who lived in fear of Peter Barnes and gave him loads of space which is just what he needed.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
The previous season they were runners up in the League but this season they were off the pace and Malcolm Allison's return was not far away. My main memory is of some European ties against Italian teams who lived in fear of Peter Barnes and gave him loads of space which is just what he needed.
Liverpool pipped Man City under Tony Book by a point that season, the game that really did City’s chances was a 4-0 loss at The Baseball Ground at the end of April. They won 3 of the next 4 games, the other being a draw at Goodson to fall short just behind Liverpool, who drew three me their last four games, the last was a defeat at home to Bristol City, which did not matter as the title had been wrapped up two days before with a point at home against WHU

This was the season of the infamous Coventry v Bristol City game which took place after the final scheduled Saturday on 19th May. Both clubs eventually connived for a draw(2-2) after the game at Highfield Rd kicked off 15 mins later than the one that both clubs relegation rivals Sunderland’s did at Goodison.
The final result at Everton flashed on the basic electronic scoreboard at Coventry(who were one of the few clubs to have one) Both sets of players saw it & knew Sunderland’s 2-0 defeat meant both clubs would be safe from relegation.

fred binneys head

Sunderland still have beef with Coventry because of that. Get over it lads, FFS.

Oldsmobile-88

Sunderland still have beef with Coventry because of that. Get over it lads, FFS.
A Bristol City fan I knew went to Highfield Rd for the match. It was Bristol City’s 3rd game in 5 days, all away. Middlesbrough was the other game(0-0)
Even though Liverpool had wrapped up the title on the Saturday & were thinking about their upcoming European Cup Final on the Wednesday week, it was still a heck of a result to win at Anfield(1-2) on the Monday evening.
They certainly deserved to stay up, something that looked highly unlikely just a week before.

iscalad

Liverpool

fred binneys head

Liverpool
#StillFuming

iscalad

Oldsmobile-88

With Oldham Athletic languishing near the bottom of the 5th Tier of English football with a further drop a distinct possibility, it does not seem that long ago they were in Division One. A return to the top flight that season after 68 years.
Oldham became founder members of the Premier League later in the year, surviving 2 seasons.

Oldsmobile-88