• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Old MOTD & Big Match.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
That Bob Lord 'pinball flipper' combover is a thing of beauty.
Obviously inspired by Michaelangelo's 'Creation of Adam'.

iscalad

That Bob Lord 'pinball flipper' combover is a thing of beauty.
Obviously inspired by Michaelangelo's 'Creation of Adam'.
Please don't mention Bob Lord the Cnut.

Oldsmobile-88

Oldsmobile-88

Love the way the people in the corner moved back before the delivery for the 2nd goal. 14,215 at Gay Meadow that afternoon. Not the highest gate that season at home for Shrewsbury, that was 14,441 for the visit of the Grecians for the last game of the season to wrap up promotion & the Division 3 Championship, on Thursday 17th May nearly 2 weeks after the official end of the season(5th May)
The original fixture was scheduled on 6th Jan, not played because it was FAC 3rd Round Day.

Oldsmobile-88

Oldsmobile-88

50 years ago.
Sunderland on their way to winning the FA Cup. Arsenal were beaten in the Semi-Final, then the famous game against Leeds United.
A huge surprise at the time.

Oldsmobile-88

What a game that was in Spain 1982. I think most of us realised that Italy’s name was on the World Cup that tournament after the match.

Oldsmobile-88

A Division 4 game at Leeds Road.
Huddersfield supporters as was common in many grounds at the time, watching from the end their team was attacking & swapping ends at HT. Well illustrated in this clip when Lincoln score a couple of goals in the 2nd half.

Oldsmobile-88

Gillingham Centre Half(number 5 for you youngsters 😎) is Russell Musker, who spent a month on loan at SJP in October 1983, a tough assignment for a young player in that season. He made 6 appearances. I remember Russell from school, he was picked up by Bristol City as a apprentice pro, unfortunately a club that were nosediving from the 1st to 4th Divisions in consecutive seasons plus his progress was hampered by a badly broken leg. Gillingham signed him soon after his loan spell ended. Spent time at Plainmoor & had a very successful decade managing Taunton Town.Western League Titles & a visit to Wembley in the Vase.
I had a job at his house in Torquay years ago, he was still the nice lad i remembered at school.

Oldsmobile-88

48 years ago 😳 I was eagerly awaiting the highlights on Sportsnight, not knowing the score which was the norm back then.
Cruyff & Barcelona at Elland Road was hugely anticipated.
Leeds won the European Cup Semi-Final 1st leg 2-1( the return at the Nou Camp ended 1-1) in front of over 50,000 the last 50k plus crowd at Elland Rd.
Billy Bremner & Allan ‘Sniffer’ Clarke were the scorers that evening.