• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Player Budget

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
If I know there are player bonuses for promotion then you can bet your life on the fact that those compiling the budget for ECFC do too. There is no way that was "overlooked".
I hope so but who is responsible for monitoring the playing budget and did they raise the alarm soon enough ?
That lot 40 miles down the A38 sold a 20% holding to generate circa £4 mill investment - do Grecians need to consider similar to survive in L1 ?
UTC

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I hope so but who is responsible for monitoring the playing budget and did they raise the alarm soon enough ?
That lot 40 miles down the A38 sold a 20% holding to generate circa £4 mill investment - do Grecians need to consider similar to survive in L1 ?
UTC
Let's say that £4 million investment adds £1m to the playing budget for each of the next four years. What do you in five years' time, flog off another 20 per cent off the club?!

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Let's say that £4 million investment adds £1m to the playing budget for each of the next four years. What do you in five years' time, flog off another 20 per cent off the club?!
If "our business" is currently so strapped for cash to be able to recruit as MT wanted to survive in L1 this season then what other options are open to us ?
Doing nothing risks us back in L2 with, probably, the best academy facilities in lower leagues - can we afford to do nothing ?
UTC

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
If "our business" is currently so strapped for cash to be able to recruit as MT wanted to survive in L1 this season then what other options are open to us ?
Doing nothing risks us back in L2 with, probably, the best academy facilities in lower leagues - can we afford to do nothing ?
UTC
And we could splash another million on the playing budget and still find ourselves back in League Two, while owning less of the club than we did previously.

I'm not against any investment as a matter of principle but I am against an investment which might help us out for a year or two but could then leave us in a worse position than we were before.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
We are currently building off a carefully constructed foundation.

There is no magical solution we have to try and stay competitive and in the meantime do all we can to increase our support base to bring in more potential match day income.

Even more importantly work on persuading the additional couple of thousand supporters who are at present regularly coming to the games to contribute to the running costs of the Club by joining the Trust.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
And we could splash another million on the playing budget and still find ourselves back in League Two, while owning less of the club than we did previously.

I'm not against any investment as a matter of principle but I am against an investment which might help us out for a year or two but could then leave us in a worse position than we were before.
Like you I don't want Grecians to be in a worse position than we were but our defence needs cover now (sounds like we are unlikely to have any fully fit central defenders on bench tomorrow for the 3rd league game in a row) - I really hope that we can struggle on to thenew window and that MT will by then have access to more budget to cover both overspend and acquire cover required at the time.

Only time will tell I guess ?
UTC

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
We are clearly investing in players we already have, which is why they have stayed with us. As long as we stay up (we will), this will be a successful transition from Lg 2 to Lg 1 with the foundation for building a better future squad. People can call me rose tinter etc but honestly the panicking and pessimism on here sometimes is a bit OTT. I certainly don't agree that it is time to change the financial model, as some have suggested. Quite the opposite in fact.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Something doesn't add up with the messages coming from the club.We have invested the bare minimum in upgrading the squad for L1 and yet we are told there is an over spend on the budget.Have mistakes been made with the budget?Is the majority of the war chest being saved until January? No news on the 1931 funds.Strange that there isn't any communication with the fans on that one considering where it comes from.

Wouldn't be surprised if the budget is weighted heavier in 2023. Get it wrong and the season is lost by the New Year. Although when all goes to plan , the funds are there to enhance a serious promotion push.

What is a concern is that there isn't an emergency fund in the budget to cover an injury crisis like this.I could be wrong and there is and Taylor doesn't want to use it so early in the season.

dontpassback

If I know there are player bonuses for promotion then you can bet your life on the fact that those compiling the budget for ECFC do too. There is no way that was "overlooked".
You may well be correct,but when Matt Taylor was talking about Jon hill,he mentioned the January window in a positive manner,yet here we are a day later and all of a sudden,we have no money left in the budget,it maybe that it was not overlooked,but I find it all a bit odd ! Just my view of which I am fully entitled to have

budegrecian

The Alfie money will likely be in instalment like lots of player sales
Also, in determining the funding for the training ground redevelopment, the club budgeted on receiving an anticipated £1m from transfer deals, over 4 windows. To date, over 2 windows I believe, the club will have received the Alfie Pond transfer fee & presumably 20% of Ethan Ampadu's recent loan fee. So whilst we're edging towards the £1m, there wont be any funds available for the playing budget as yet.