• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Player Budget

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Seems we've exceeded our player budget

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Matt Taylor was already talking about January yesterday

iscalad

Seems we've exceeded our player budget

Well that's not good

Bridgy 81

Matt Taylor was already talking about January yesterday
I was a little surprised by the comment that we’re over budget so can’t even consider any out of contract players. Although I appreciate the 1931 money is sometimes only a contribution towards a signing I think that’s still available.
Plus, off the top of my head, we’ve only brought in Blackman, Harper, Smith, Stansfield and Kegs to replace all of those who left in the summer.
We haven’t paid a transfer fee for any of the new players and it was reported that as it was a development loan for Kegs that isn’t costing us anything.
Presumably all the available money has been spent on the wages of the other four then and perhaps League One pay rises for some others already in the squad?
So if we have plans to make signings in January, but are currently over budget, I imagine we intend or expect some departures that month?

manc grecian

Should've lost in the playoff final again. Seemed easier that way.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was a little surprised by the comment that we’re over budget so can’t even consider any out of contract players. Although I appreciate the 1931 money is sometimes only a contribution towards a signing I think that’s still available.
Plus, off the top of my head, we’ve only brought in Blackman, Harper, Smith, Stansfield and Kegs to replace all of those who left in the summer.
We haven’t paid a transfer fee for any of the new players and it was reported that as it was a development loan for Kegs that isn’t costing us anything.
Presumably all the available money has been spent on the wages of the other four then and perhaps League One pay rises for some others already in the squad?
So if we have plans to make signings in January, but are currently over budget, I imagine we intend or expect some departures that month?
Promotion bonuses, Included promotion pay rises etc. I remember Tisdale said something Similar when he got us promoted to league one about wriggle room by account of natural budget increases prior to signings due to naturally agreed promotion bonuses / pay rises etc.

Banksy

Should've lost in the playoff final again. Seemed easier that way.
Know what you mean even if it was written a bit (😉) tongue in cheek.If this is it budget wise City are always going to struggle in League One being one of the lower budget teams and never having that little bit extra when we need make it count. Having injury prone players in key positions like Stubbs and Nombe won’t help. Stubbs will be particularly missed now Cheick is out.With the recession starting to bite too we can’t necessarily rely on having high gates to help us out.

wiveygrecian

Promotion bonuses, Included promotion pay rises etc. I remember Tisdale said something Similar when he got us promoted to league one about wriggle room by account of natural budget increases prior to signings due to naturally agreed promotion bonuses / pay rises etc.
I get all that but where was the money coming from we were going to buy these players on deadline day or the previous week!! Apparently we missed out on loads !! I know we signed two on deadline day on loan but a couple weeks before we were told we were trying to bring in 3/4/5 signings!! So we had the money then but don’t now! I can’t work that out !!

irishbrian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I get all that but where was the money coming from we were going to buy these players on deadline day or the previous week!! Apparently we missed out on loads !! I know we signed two on deadline day on loan but a couple weeks before we were told we were trying to bring in 3/4/5 signings!! So we had the money then but don’t now! I can’t work that out !!
Seems ploughing money into training facilities was top priority and not players.

StudentGrecian

Contradicts his earlier statements, but hopefully it means he is accounting for contract extensions. All I can say is if this squad is over budget we will need to work miracles in the market again next year to stay up! MT has shown he can pull a rabbit out of hat though!