• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Playing budget

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I reckon the World Cup will also play havoc with team selections for the Prem sides in January so perhaps there's a chance of a giant-killing
.... if we get to round 3.
what do you mean by if? surely you mean when!

Matt Russell

Sad thing is that even if we draw a Spurs, Man City or Arsenal in the 3rd round, we won't be playing their 'proper 1st team'
The Premier League have devalued the competition already, without any World Cup effect.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sad thing is that even if we draw a Spurs, Man City or Arsenal in the 3rd round, we won't be playing their 'proper 1st team'
The Premier League have devalued the competition already, without any World Cup effect.
That's very true as is the reality that not even drawing a Premier league team away is the financial guarantee it once was. There are few teams like those you mention plus Man utd, Chelsea and Newcastle but outside of those a 3rd Rd game will be lucky to get a crowd near 10,000

tom_ecfc

There are few teams like those you mention plus Man utd, Chelsea and Newcastle but outside of those a 3rd Rd game will be lucky to get a crowd near 10,000
I would somewhat disagree with you on this point. Examples from last seasons 3rd round against Prem teams (Nottingham Forest were Championship at the time) at home -

Leicester vs Watford = 25,710
Tottenham vs Morecambe = 40,310
West Ham vs Leeds = 54,303
Wolves vs Sheffield Utd = 27,004
Nottingham Forest vs Arsenal = 24,938

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would somewhat disagree with you on this point. Examples from last seasons 3rd round against Prem teams (Nottingham Forest were Championship at the time) at home -

Indeed. A lot of fans struggle to get tickets for league games so see the Cup games as ones to attend.
Fingers crossed

andrew p long

Indeed. Ironically the Premier League sides will be better placed this season to put out strong teams in the FACup 3rd round . Normally their players are out on their feet by Christmas, then hit with a ridiculous Christmas schedule, so players get rested/rotated for FAC 3rd round on first Saturday in January.

This year is very different. First, despite the hype, many/most Premier League players are not going to the World Cup - so the majority of Premier League players get a massive 6 week break from competitive games. Secondly only half the players who do go will start regularly. Thirdly most teams and players will get knocked out ages before the Final, which itself is a week before the Premier League resumes. This year the Premiership sides may even be looking to improve players sharpness with game time in the FACup 3rd round for those who don't play much over the Christmas week.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's very true as is the reality that not even drawing a Premier league team away is the financial guarantee it once was. There are few teams like those you mention plus Man utd, Chelsea and Newcastle but outside of those a 3rd Rd game will be lucky to get a crowd near 10,000
Yes, but over pessimistic, surely? Leeds. West Ham. Villa. Expect all would get over 20K. I'd say even Leicester, Brighton, Palace, Wolves would be 20K ish.

And ideally a replay at SJP with TV.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster

But I wasnt talking about a 3rd Rd tie between two well supported higher league teams? With the exception of the Tottenham game al those games would attract larger gates. I'm referring to the kind of game that was a Southampton, Brighton, Fulham, Brentford, Palace, Bournmouth, Wolves etc. If we played any of those away we wouldnt be playing above 10,000 for a number. Hope I would be wrong but would rather have Newscastle away any day of the week

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Well, you're no longer able to take her "up The Dray"
(You may need to be a relatively ancient Exewebber to get this reference 😜)
The lady generally referred to in regard to the good old much missed Horse & Dray was not called Prudence mind ;)

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
The lady generally referred to in regard to the good old much missed Horse & Dray was not called Prudence mind ;)
Up the City ?