• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Plymouth Argyle Vs Exeter City Match Day Thread

i8cornwall

Wasn't expecting much pre match just hoped we'd put a performance in and not disgrace ourselves and that's what we did.

Changes probably didn't have the impact we needed, sort out the sloppy defending and we'll be motoring.

Still sat 10th and well away from danger and that's all we all wanted pre season.

I'm sure the giddiness is in full flow down the road which is odd when you consider they believe their only ever 25 minutes away from winning the champions league or what ever else their convinced they'll do.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
It was a good game, we were good in patches but have to tighten up defensively. Plymouth are a very good side and the lad Mumba is clearly too good for L1.

Not sure why some are blaming Blackman. It's about defenders closing down quicker and marking tighter in the box, making sure that if you can't get first contact you block the sight of goal. We're just too open and something I'm sure Caldwell will be working on immediately.

We'll be fine to stay up, comfortably mid table I would say. Argyle will lose their manager before long, he clearly knows what he's doing, and even if they don't they'll have a blip shortly as all teams do. They'll have slipped in to playoffs by February.

Archie Collins was our best player, Kite close second, and you have to love Stanno.

Max Payne 2

Watched that over here in Australia and for an hour we were toe-to-toe with the best team in the division. Ironically the subs I would probably have made precipitated a 3 goal slide. Blackman could but not necessarily should have done better on the last 2 goals but Argyle looked lethal given a sniff in the box. Our front line isn't that good and that's the difference. Given a full strength defence maybe we get a deserved point out of that but heads went down and City tired badly in the last half hour. Their 30-yard missile knocked the stuffing out of us in hindsight. Jay Stansfield wasn't playing for the paycheck out there, that meant something and two great assists make him the pick of our attacking players for me. Poor Jevani came on as the tide was turning and wasn't able to get into the game as he was often doubled up on by Plymouth. Caprice ran his ass off but when he tired we visibly lost influence. MOM overall probably Key. Sparkes needs to work on his crossing as we're noticeably better down the right and opponents know it, the most dangerous moment down that channel coming when Stanno outmuscled an Argle defender and took. it down the right channel before laying on our opener for Collins.

I honestly don't feel too bad. We won't have many tougher fixtures than this and showed why we more than belong in this league. As for Plymouth, well they're going up. See you at Home Park in 2 years, snotballs.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Disappointing to play pretty well, lead twice and end up like that. The real difference was Whittaker. I was surprised when I saw Swansea had loaned him out and pretty ****** off when it was to the GAWS. That's the difference in budget when you come into L1 and there are a few bigger budgets than Argyle as well.

The first and third goals Hartridge and Cheick both get drawn into coming out when they should have just tracked (for the first) and got tight (for the third). Blackman was unsighted for the second, there were a gaggle of our players hanging around on the edge of the box you could have thrown a blanket over and none of them got out to close down. The fourth was just meh.

Again it is fine margins where the key moments for us were the save by Cooper from Archie and then Harry hitting the bar. Jay was outstanding for both goals and a handful all night. Kite was everywhere and the more game time he gets after injury the better. He is such a good player alongside Archie.

We are getting players back and you can't really complain with Caldwell's tactics tonight. I'll never feel anything but empty losing to that lot but we did a hell of a lot more right tonight than not. Similar performances against other top sides should bring us some points.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
4-2 definitely flattered them but when you can bring on Hardie its no surprise.
Can't argue with bringing on the subs, they just played poorly.
And Jamie Mackie is dead to me now.

SaintJames

The difference is that they have strength in depth and their loan players scored two plus two assists. Blackman unsighted for Mumba's strike which our defenders failed to close down. We did show that we are competitive in this league, but our attacking substitutions( taking off more defensive players) plainly didn't work. The manager will learn a lot from this. Jay Stansfield again a quality player. And yes, City you were a credit to this league in a thoroughly entertaining game; just the wrong result.
There was no chance of our defenders closing their player down he had a full 20 yards of space, The issue was Blackman's positioning left Mumba practically a half of the goal to shoot at instead of moving across but he was totally flat footed maybe as a result of carrying too much timber?

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought Harry and Archie and Jay played really well. Tim and Jevani were well off their game.
What the fark did Jevani do wrong to be well off his game?

JayPob94

He downright knows he's off to Rotherham in January. Would effect any player knowing there's a fat pay check and big move coming in a few months

i8cornwall

4-2 definitely flattered them but when you can bring on Hardie its no surprise.
Can't argue with bringing on the subs, they just played poorly.
And Jamie Mackie is dead to me now.
Now?

Been dead to me for years.

Bat Fastard

agree, he came into a knackered team and did little wrong, in fact looked quite tidy at points....dieng well off it mind