• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Plymouth Argyle Vs Exeter City Match Day Thread

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
They are. They’re top of the league playing in front of 16k each week - we can’t compete with that. Are we also healthier than Manchester City too, after all, they’ve only got Phil Foden from their academy playing regularly for them. And we don’t have one loanee, we have three. It would have been four (so the same as them) though if one didn’t go running home because he missed his mum.
That's harsh.

C j phill

Interview with Sweeney

I wonder if Pierce is working through his coaching badges? I can easily see him progressing through the coaching City coaching conveyor belt at some stage in the future.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
There was no chance of our defenders closing their player down he had a full 20 yards of space, The issue was Blackman's positioning left Mumba practically a half of the goal to shoot at instead of moving across but he was totally flat footed maybe as a result of carrying too much timber?
Blackman was unsighted so didn't see the shot until (too) late.

Grecian Max

It was a cracking game of football, what an advert for often ignore derby (in favour of much less intense rivalries). I suspect Sky will pick up our home game against them after that. My first game back in person in a while having lived away and it was a great buzz to celebrate those goals and enjoy the moment before it fell apart 😅

I thought we were fantastic in the first half and the more defensive decision of having Kite, Archie and Dieng worked well tactically. Second half fell apart defensively - we are really struggling with the decision to go into the season with not enough cover for a team that plays 3/5 at the back. Only 4 teams have scored more than us yet we have only +3 GD. GC absolutely has to get in defensive recruits in Jan - I’d be looking at 2 CBs. With a more settled defence we wouldn’t have been letting in the first/third and fourth last night imo. Third in particular saw the rusty Diabate ball watching for ages before that killer pass was made.

Finally, I love Stanno. He’s come back and is doing what we’d all love to do if we were in his shoes as a genuine premier league player - get a season at the club you support and put everything into it. So much stronger than he looks (like his dad), tenacious footballer who has everything by as an attacking player. Loved his passion and desire to win. We are very lucky to get to watch him for a year. His mix of abilities means I think he could find himself playing for England at some point.

Grecian Max

Individually:

I thought Kite was awesome yesterday - and was a close second for MOTM behind Stanno for me. Collins, Key, Caprice (going forward) all put in good shifts too.

Nombe didn’t have a great game despite his goal and huffed and puffed - could be argued he made space for Stanno, mind.

Dropping Brown I respect as it was done for the best of the overall tactical approach. Ultimately it didn’t work but I can see the logic.

Matt Jay came on and looked like a Conference player so I imagine that situation will be resolved in Jan or July.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
It was a cracking game of football, what an advert for often ignore derby (in favour of much less intense rivalries). I suspect Sky will pick up our home game against them after that. My first game back in person in a while having lived away and it was a great buzz to celebrate those goals and enjoy the moment before it fell apart 😅

I thought we were fantastic in the first half and the more defensive decision of having Kite, Archie and Dieng worked well tactically. Second half fell apart defensively - we are really struggling with the decision to go into the season with not enough cover for a team that plays 3/5 at the back. Only 4 teams have scored more than us yet we have only +3 GD. GC absolutely has to get in defensive recruits in Jan - I’d be looking at 2 CBs. With a more settled defence we wouldn’t have been letting in the first/third and fourth last night imo. Third in particular saw the rusty Diabate ball watching for ages before that killer pass was made.

Finally, I love Stanno. He’s come back and is doing what we’d all love to do if we were in his shoes as a genuine premier league player - get a season at the club you support and put everything into it. So much stronger than he looks (like his dad), tenacious footballer who has everything by as an attacking player. Loved his passion and desire to win. We are very lucky to get to watch him for a year. His mix of abilities means I think he could find himself playing for England at some point.
I agree with a lot of this. I stand by what i said yesterday morning that this game / result was not the reflection on our season.

Going forward we are joy to watch and as good as anyone in this division. Defensively we have been very short in recent weeks and this has told in a number of games. I am confident once we are fully fit at the back with another addition a CB and a LWB or LB in January a definite must, that we can cement our credentials as a top half side this season.

Last night we where the better side for 60-65 minutes. We never gave up even when the game went away from us and I Was proud of the way we approached the game, attacked Argyle and looked to cause them issues. Jay Stansfield imho should never be playing at league one level and it shows the love he has for our club the fact he is here and playing so so well with so much tenacity and effort into everything he does. His family must be so proud of him. I also loved the way when their player Edwards sort of went for him he just stood there and stared him out. He is a little terrier, but with so much quality.

Kite and Collins where brilliant in the middle and when Dieng went off we lost our way in the match.

Hey ho, a cracking match, Another day we get a point or even win the game, but we move on and now must focus on Vale away

felix

Plymouth have 4 or 5 loanees we have 1. Plymouth have 1 academy player we have 5 or 6. Which is healthier?
Seeing as you have asked the question I will answer it. Just a bit of clarification we had 2 on the pitch ( Randell and Cooper) and 2 on the bench ( a 16 and 18 year old). So, I believe both sides are healthy. We are financially sound, are top of the league and getting 15k plus crowds. We have investment coming in from a wealthy American consortium and have just purchased land for top class training and academy facilities. Our very successful chairman has stated that we can't (yet) beat the opposition by being wealthier ( Ipswich, Sheff Wed, Portsmouth) but we can by being smarter. One of the facets of that is our use of the loan system. I doubt our players will be recalled in Jan but if they are we have contingencies. We use advanced data analytics ( which Hallett utilizes in his business) to identify potential loan targets and start talking to their clubs at the earliest opportunity. We play an attractive and modern system (3 4 2 1) which championship & premier clubs like their players to play in and Swansea/Norwich would rather have Whittaker and Mumba playing and improving than sitting on a bench. We have a young talented manager who will no doubt move on but we have contingencies in place for that. Finally, we have intelligent (no knobheads) players ( I won't comment any further on that, ahem).

I think both clubs are in the top 5 in the "healthy" stakes, but I believe we are healthier but things can change.

Good debating point though.

Cheers.

fred binneys head

They are. They’re top of the league playing in front of 16k each week - we can’t compete with that. Are we also healthier than Manchester City too, after all, they’ve only got Phil Foden from their academy playing regularly for them. And we don’t have one loanee, we have three. It would have been four (so the same as them) though if one didn’t go running home because he missed his mum.
Unnecessary.

Grecian Max

Seeing as you have asked the question I will answer it. Just a bit of clarification we had 2 on the pitch ( Randell and Cooper) and 2 on the bench ( a 16 and 18 year old). So, I believe both sides are healthy. We are financially sound, are top of the league and getting 15k plus crowds. We have investment coming in from a wealthy American consortium and have just purchased land for top class training and academy facilities. Our very successful chairman has stated that we can't (yet) beat the opposition by being wealthier ( Ipswich, Sheff Wed, Portsmouth) but we can by being smarter. One of the facets of that is our use of the loan system. I doubt our players will be recalled in Jan but if they are we have contingencies. We use advanced data analytics ( which Hallett utilizes in his business) to identify potential loan targets and start talking to their clubs at the earliest opportunity. We play an attractive and modern system (3 4 2 1) which championship & premier clubs like their players to play in and Swansea/Norwich would rather have Whittaker and Mumba playing and improving than sitting on a bench. We have a young talented manager who will no doubt move on but we have contingencies in place for that. Finally, we have intelligent (no knobheads) players ( I won't comment any further on that, ahem).

I think both clubs are in the top 5 in the "healthy" stakes, but I believe we are healthier but things can change.

Good debating point though.

Cheers.
Yeh alright mate, no one cares

Also you can pour all the American money you want into your club; your town and your people are as ugly as they ever have been. Absolute disaster of a place.

Grecian Max

Unnecessary.
Sure I read on here that Smith has had addiction problems in the past? Leaving mid season like that with no way to play until January due to the rules… he must have had a serious reason.