• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Plymouth Argyle Vs Exeter City Match Day Thread

DJG.ECFC

I had to get a train back into Cornwall last night (10.38 in theory but well gone eleven by the time it actually left meaning I didn't get in until 1 AM) and on my carriage that was probably the least sick chant re; Stanno. They had quite a few. In fairness most Argyle fans didn't join in and looked uncomfortable but there was some very unpleasant stuff.

Leads

I guess it's not really the point, but why is the standard reaction for when scenes like this happen is for fans of whatever team is involved to rally around and say they are not true fans? What makes a true fan? Surely you can support your team with all your heart, but also be a bit of a ********? There's been a bit of talk on here about the Alan Nichols songs, back in the day it certainly used to be more than just a couple of idiots joining in, I know that because I was one of them. Thankfully I've grown up and I actually think with Stansfield dying it made people reevaluate whether this was an acceptable thing to be doing.

It's food for thought though- at that time I was going to nearly every game, I did something like 50/53 one season. I spent all my time and money on following Exeter and wanted them to succeed deeply. I would say that I was and am a true fan and that being a fan is about if you support the club or not rather than a moral verdict on the person in question.

Anyhow, watching that video is pretty grim, sounds like an adaptation of the "Maggie in the mud" song. Hopefully society is becoming a better place and also that people are given a chance to learn from their mistakes.

Boyo

Happy to do that, but I doubt that Whittaker, who was on loan at Lincoln would be on anywhere near the sort of money that's being mentioned...Mumba, similarly on loan at Peterborough...However, they are both very good players and will undoubtably improve.
What we do know is that argyle's playing budget (as per their last accounts) was £5.5m. Ours I believe is just over £2m. So clearly they have more firepower in terms of money to throw at loans.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not confirming or denying. Just looking at all the posts from a completely neutral point of view. Some reasonable debate, but a lot of people crying about Argyle having lots of loan players, not playing like a side top of the league last night, not having as many youth products as City. All Argyle fans being winkers etc. Just all seems very "playground".
............ but true !

dontpassback

Looks like argyle have posted a statement condemning the Stanno chants,and are prepared to ban those found guilty.I have also had a quick look on pasoti and whilst I don’t always agree with their views,they are spot on in their condemnation on this,so fair play to argyle for the condemnation and fair play to pasoti for backing that up

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Looks like argyle have posted a statement condemning the Stanno chants,and are prepared to ban those found guilty.I have also had a quick look on pasoti and whilst I don’t always agree with their views,they are spot on in their condemnation on this,so fair play to argyle for the condemnation and fair play to pasoti for backing that up
Looks like they have enough video evidence - sadly will believe when I see it !
UTC and let's give their team bus the "warm welcome" they did to ours

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Statement here:
To be applauded IMHO.

Cowshed Grecian

Let’s not just make out it’s Argyle Fans that have suddenly come up with sick football chants. It’s not a new thing, there were plenty of Alan Nicholls sick chants in the 90s. It’s not right but this isn’t unique, why are idiots sharing it on Twitter? That’s causing the damage, imagine young Stanno seeing that…it would of just been forgotten about if it hadn’t been scruntanised. You’re never changing young idiots.

i8cornwall

You’re never changing young idiots.
I've met my fair share of old idiots as well.

From what ive heard Argyle take a dim view on things like that (hence why zoo corner was closed for a while) sure those lads will get lengthy club bans.

Similar to if it was our fans doing such a thing now.