• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
What happens with other British citizens that are terrorists? Loyalists, Irish Nationalists etc. They've been responsible for some horrific atrocities in the UK. Most of them got let out early and roam the streets of the UK today. Do we wait until they go abroad and then take their citizenship away? Arguably, by keeping her in Syria (or wherever she is) we cause ourselves more damage than waiting until she returns and going through the court process.

The cynic in me suggests the govt are likely to want this to happen.
I never agreed with letting convicted terrorists out but it was we were told part of the peace process. Presumably those released were at the point of release not seen as a risk to national security etc

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I could not care less that she was 15. She knew exactly what she was doing.

As regards the others it is a pity any of them were ever allowed back but we are dealing with Begum now and we are better off without her being here.
You may not care less, but the law is interested in her being 15 at the time of going. She was a minor, groomed by people to join a terrorist organisation.

My dispute is not what she did, the severity of it, but you cannot render a person stateless. Our government did potentially do so and therefore potentially have broken the law. This mess means, if upheld the government broke the law means the probably of bringing her to justice lowers and holding her accountable for her actions. But she was a minor, This will play a huge part of any impending case against her, as if the government are (IF) to removed her citizenship illegally, this will play a huge part in any case against her.

angelic upstart

I could not care less that she was 15. She knew exactly what she was doing.

As regards the others it is a pity any of them were ever allowed back but we are dealing with Begum now and we are better off without her being here.
That's right, overlook actual murderers for some goofy **** that likely didn't actually hurt anyone and likely wouldn't if she was in the UK. Always best to focus on that so the actual nutters are free to roam and recruit young men for further attacks on our soil down the line.

angelic upstart

I never agreed with letting convicted terrorists out but it was we were told part of the peace process. Presumably those released were at the point of release not seen as a risk to national security etc
My point isn't what we want to happen. We'd very likely agree. It's what happens in future, what happens in the past with similar people.

Sometimes that can of worms ain't worth opening. Jinx on the other hand would be loving it :LOL:

Grecian2K

Always best to focus on that so the actual nutters are free to roam and recruit....
If that was the case many of the leaders of the world's religions (of all flavours) over the centuries would have been bricking it! :(

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Suella Braverman happily reinforcing the point a number of us have been making regarding the UK's asylum system

tavyred

Suella Braverman happily reinforcing the point a number of us have been making regarding the UK's asylum system
…..and the point that if asylum routes in Africa (or anywhere) were opened up in the way you and this MP suggests we would get flooded with applications still stands.
Its indicative of the high dudgeon we’ve got ourselves into, that Braverman can’t tell this virtue signalling MP the inconvenient truth that we are rationing asylum applications.
BTW, Labour won’t ever open up safe routes for asylum seekers either.

DB9

You can watch it on catch up. It's about how lefty progressives refuse to acknowledge Jews as a minority worthy of protection. And hold British Jews responsible for the behaviour of Israel, just as they don't hold British Muslims responsible for the behaviour of Saudi Arabia. And view Jews as simply "white" with all the advantages that bestows, including the ever insightful Oprah Winfrey maintaining that the Holocaust wasn't racist, it was just white people being horrible to each other. And that the relentless focus on the holocaust utterly obscures what went before - 2000 years of banishment, pogroms and exile; as Simon Sharma in his excellent series ten years ago put it, Jews always have a suitcase packed... All this is conveniently forgotten by the left who view Jews as a privileged elite, unworthy of their sympathy or support...
Just a note Art, It was Whoopi Goldberg who said those words not Oprah Winfrey, The programme itself was really good and well presented by David Baddiell.

arthur

You are just too soft art. Even gullible if I may be so bold.

She knew exactly what she was doing.
How on earth do you know this? And why can't you accept the Jacob Rees Mogg position and put her through a properly constituted criminal process?

Alistair20000

How on earth do you know this? And why can't you accept the Jacob Rees Mogg position and put her through a properly constituted criminal process?

Oh dear art. You really are a soft touch. She only has to say "I didn't know what I was doing. I'm a victim of trafficking" and you fall for it. And of course none of this was suggested by her when she first tried to get back here. allowed back.

This piece sums it up:

James Eadie KC, representing the government, said in written arguments that Begum had aligned with IS and stayed in Syria for four years until 2019.

Eadie said Begum left IS territory “only as the caliphate collapsed”, adding: “Even at that stage, the evidence demonstrates that she left only for safety and not because of a genuine disengagement from the group.”

He added: “When she did emerge, and gave multiple press interviews shortly before the secretary of state decided to deprive her of her citizenship, she expressed no remorse and said she did not regret joining [IS], acknowledging that she was aware of the nature of the group when she travelled.”

15 year olds in today's times are not the 15 year olds of our childhood. There is no evidence to support the proposition that she did not know what she was doing. All of the circumstantial evidence points in a different direction.

Her behaviour after going off to Syria and her vile comments are consistent with someone who had a very good idea indeed what she was doing. Until of course she decided to change her tune when realising it had all turned to worm in Syria. Strange that she has completely changed her dress code and presentation too.

Desperate stuff when you rely on JRM in support. :)

I don't want her here to stand trial with all the waste of money that will lead to. Enough squandered on her already. She did not want us and our values , she supported terrorism, showed no contrition (until it suited her) and I don't want her back here.