• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Think a lot of people need to listen to that, Spoke well and tbh it's how the vast majority think. The bit about the professor if true needing to be "Re-educated" is scary. There is a saying that goes something like "The oppressed becoming the oppressor" very apt nowadays, One last thing, Why is Lincoln being attacked if that is true?
The worrying aspect for me is that this wokeist agenda is not actually confined to western universities, as we’ve seen in Scotland it’s becoming mainstream and otherwise sensible politicians are engaging in the sort of fantasy that sees us denying someone’s chromosomes.

DB9

The worrying aspect for me is that this wokeist agenda is not actually confined to western universities, as we’ve seen in Scotland it’s becoming mainstream and otherwise sensible politicians are engaging in the sort of fantasy that sees us denying someone’s chromosomes.
I'm not sure I'd use the term "Wokeist" to me they're denying the facts, Universities are pandering to this and its frightening, As for Scotland, In her latest interviews on the male rapist Ms Sturgeon couldn't even bring herself to say this person was a man, She kept saying "Individual" when referring to him, To me that says she's totally screwed this policy up and can't admit it.

Alistair20000

Is there anyone out there who believes that Sunak possesses the political backbone to withdraw the U.K. from the ECHR as is being reported?
Nah. 🤷‍♂️
Norfolk enchants.

arthur

Is there anyone out there who believes that Sunak possesses the political backbone to withdraw the U.K. from the ECHR as is being reported?
Nah. 🤷‍♂️
Is there anyone out there who thinks Sunak has a parliamentary majority to withdraw the UK from the ECHR?

This will more likely feature in a Tory manifesto if the crazies get their way. Red meat for the new Tory faithful, deeply unattractive to everyone else. A sure fire election winner!

tavyred

Is there anyone out there who thinks Sunak has a parliamentary majority to withdraw the UK from the ECHR?

This will more likely feature in a Tory manifesto if the crazies get their way. Red meat for the new Tory faithful, deeply unattractive to everyone else. A sure fire election winner!
You think there’s enough of Remainer rump in the parliamentary Tory party who would block a ECHR withdrawal Art? Or perhaps you think this transcends our Brexit shenanigans and will be a step too far for even moderate Tory Brexiteers?
Genuine question as I don’t have a Scooby.
I have a feeling this story is akin to BJ ‘talking tough’ on illegal crossings but actually doing feck all about it when push comes to shove.

Mr Jinx

You believe in trickle down in a global economy? Please remember that the UK mostly buys stuff, from outside of the UK.
How would it work?
If I believe in it generally, I suppose that would extend globally. Case in point, see where China's GDP per capita has gone the past thirty years. In fact, Globalisation is probably the most visible proof of trickle down. China have been busy dining out on the West as a lot of countries have shifted their manufacturing bases there.

china.JPG

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Certainly not referring to a chimp. That said, the gentleman is a supporter of this government turning the country into a banana republic, so you do have to wonder !

Although appearing to be a keen right wing Brexity type, his economic views tend to be more moderate, unlike the Jinx, so would be interesting to know his take on ‘trickle down’ economics ideology. Suspect he’ll think it snake oil, but you never know.
Assuming this is directed at me Elgers there are plenty of non "right wing Brexity types" just as there are Euroloons (in the EC sense) across the political spectrum.

Trickle down economics has an element of truth in it but the proponents and critics of it both overstate their respective cases.

There are quite a lot of policies of this present government that I do not support. Just saying.

Mr Jinx

I'm not sure I'd use the term "Wokeist" to me they're denying the facts, Universities are pandering to this and its frightening, As for Scotland, In her latest interviews on the male rapist Ms Sturgeon couldn't even bring herself to say this person was a man, She kept saying "Individual" when referring to him, To me that says she's totally screwed this policy up and can't admit it.
Sturgeon's poll ratings have fallen off a cliff (according to the latest ones) as a result of all this. So it's not all bad. Ironically, it's Labour (whose leader can't say what a woman is) that have been picking up the slack up there.

arthur

I
You think there’s enough of Remainer rump in the parliamentary Tory party who would block a ECHR withdrawal Art? Or perhaps you think this transcends our Brexit shenanigans and will be a step too far for even moderate Tory Brexiteers?
Genuine question as I don’t have a Scooby.
I have a feeling this story is akin to BJ ‘talking tough’ on illegal crossings but actually doing feck all about it when push comes to shove.
I was amazed to find that the parliamentary One Nation group had over 100 members - I thought Johnson had purged them all in the autumn of 2019. These, and the House of Lords, would, I have thought, be enough to block any pivot away from our liberal democratic tradition towards Erdoganism.

BTW I think your term Remainer rump is in danger of becoming seriously out of date, given that the country as a whole is fast concluding that Brexit is a mistake. Brexiter Rump is a more accurate label - the fact that this tendency still constitutes a majority in the incredible shrinking Tory party doesn't make it any less of a rump when it comes to the country as a whole.

DB9

Sturgeon's poll ratings have fallen off a cliff (according to the latest ones) as a result of all this. So it's not all bad. Ironically, it's Labour (whose leader can't say what a woman is) that have been picking up the slack up there.
This ill thought out policy could be a defining moment in all this, Labour of course at the moment will keep stum but the closer a GE gets if this becomes a hot potato then they'll have to say where they stand. For me it's not a political issue (As such) It's an issue of fact.