• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
So if a 15 year old white girl had been groomed on line, in the full knowledge of her school, the police and the local Council (but not her parents because no-one told them) you'd have given a similar response? I happen to agree with Jacob Rees Mogg who said that, as a British citizen, if she has committed a crime, she should be brought back here and tried in accordance with our laws. Just removing someone's citizenship at the whim of a Home Secretary is not legal behaviour as far as I'm concerned...
She knew exactly what she was doing and initially showed not a shred of contrition. The security services say she poses a threat to national security. Keep her out.

This was reported in a newspaper I read about her:

She did not regret going to Syria, she told the newspaper, and expressed support for the murder of journalists, whom she said had been “a security threat for the caliphate”. Seeing a severed head in a bin “didn’t faze me at all”, she said, adding that her husband had surrendered to a group of Syrian fighters.

Doesn't she have Bangladesh citizenship anyway ?

Mr Jinx

Meanwhile in other legal proceedings that are no doubt costing lots of money* Ms Begum is continuing to try to get back into the U.K. arguing now that she was a victim of child trafficking. Yeah right. :mad:

* I saw £5 million of legal fees mentioned.
Now that's an interesting one.

Allowing her back into the country is really going to stoke things up (if things weren't stoked up enough). Can't see it happening, but then one should never underestimate leftist lawyers.

And why would she want to? Is Syria that bad when the alternative is having the Daily Mail stalk your every move for the rest of your life?

She knew exactly what she was doing and initially showed not a shred of contrition. The security services say she poses a threat to national security. Keep her out.

She did not regret going to Syria, she told the newspaper, and expressed support for the murder of journalists, whom she said had been “a security threat for the caliphate”. Seeing a severed head in a bin “didn’t faze me at all”, she said, adding that her husband had surrendered to a group of Syrian fighters.

Agree. She didn't show contrition until she realised it would help her cause to return.

arthur

a 15 year old goes to a war zone, gives birth to three or four babies who all die.. She witnesses the most appalling destruction and cruelty all around her as the community she is living with is bombed to buggery. You have heard of PTSD? Or is she, as far as you're concerned, a young woman in sound mental health making a series of rational statements for which she is fully accountable?

tavyred

I believe they have denied her citizenship as well. By her actions she has understandably rendered herself stateless, a salutary lesson for those tempted to do as she has done.
Apparently her parents have already returned to Bangladesh, I wonder if they’re engaged in a similar legal campaign there. 🤷‍♂️

Alistair20000

a 15 year old goes to a war zone, gives birth to three or four babies who all die.. She witnesses the most appalling destruction and cruelty all around her as the community she is living with is bombed to buggery. You have heard of PTSD? Or is she, as far as you're concerned, a young woman in sound mental health making a series of rational statements for which she is fully accountable?
You are just too soft art. Even gullible if I may be so bold.

She knew exactly what she was doing. She turned her back on the U.K. She supported a vile terrorist group. She is reported to have actively sought to recruit others to the cause and to have acted as an enforcer. She has shown no genuine contrition. The security services say she is a threat to national security. She now wants to come back to a country she hates only because it all went pear shaped for her in Syria. Keep her out.

Alistair20000

I believe they have denied her citizenship as well. By her actions she has understandably rendered herself stateless, a salutary lesson for those tempted to do as she has done.
Apparently her parents have already returned to Bangladesh, I wonder if they’re engaged in a similar legal campaign there. 🤷‍♂️
Don't suppose Bangladesh will be daft enough to pay their legal fees if that is what they are doing.

angelic upstart

She knew exactly what she was doing. She turned her back on the U.K. She supported a vile terrorist group. She is reported to have actively sought to recruit others to the cause and to have acted as an enforcer. She has shown no genuine contrition. The security services say she is a threat to national security. She now wants to come back to a country she hates only because it all went pear shaped for her in Syria. Keep her out.
What happens with other British citizens that are terrorists? Loyalists, Irish Nationalists etc. They've been responsible for some horrific atrocities in the UK. Most of them got let out early and roam the streets of the UK today. Do we wait until they go abroad and then take their citizenship away? Arguably, by keeping her in Syria (or wherever she is) we cause ourselves more damage than waiting until she returns and going through the court process.

The cynic in me suggests the govt are likely to want this to happen.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
You are just too soft art. Even gullible if I may be so bold.

But she was 15 at the point of doing it. I am not excusing what she has done or the severity of it, but at the point she went she was a minor. I said when the government removed her citizenship that i felt the government wouldn't actually be able to do this legally and we will find out i suppose. I think the governments decision to remove citizenship means we are caught up in a mess, rather than being able to charge her relevantly.

I suspect the government are making a poster girl here to avoid there failure elsewhere in the system. Below from the NY Times last year

Around 900 British nationals traveled to Syria and Iraq to join the Islamic State, and hundreds of them died there. Some 450 have since returned, and the authorities have prosecuted around 10 percent, far fewer than countries like Belgium, France and Germany.

Rosencrantz

You can watch it on catch up. It's about how lefty progressives refuse to acknowledge Jews as a minority worthy of protection. And hold British Jews responsible for the behaviour of Israel, just as they don't hold British Muslims responsible for the behaviour of Saudi Arabia. And view Jews as simply "white" with all the advantages that bestows, including the ever insightful Oprah Winfrey maintaining that the Holocaust wasn't racist, it was just white people being horrible to each other. And that the relentless focus on the holocaust utterly obscures what went before - 2000 years of banishment, pogroms and exile; as Simon Sharma in his excellent series ten years ago put it, Jews always have a suitcase packed... All this is conveniently forgotten by the left who view Jews as a privileged elite, unworthy of their sympathy or support...
It was Whoopi Goldberg rather than Oprah with the Holocaust not being a "race" thing. I thought it was an excellent programme with David Baddiel explaining the case in a clear and relatable way. He didn't shirk the Jason Lee criticism either appearing on Jason's podcast and straight forwardly apologising and calling it racist, even though both were visibly uncomfortable during the interview. It needs those situations however uncomfortable to talk to each other and gain an understanding, if not always agreement, for things to move forward.

Alistair20000

But she was 15 at the point of doing it. I am not excusing what she has done or the severity of it, but at the point she went she was a minor. I said when the government removed her citizenship that i felt the government wouldn't actually be able to do this legally and we will find out i suppose. I think the governments decision to remove citizenship means we are caught up in a mess, rather than being able to charge her relevantly.

I suspect the government are making a poster girl here to avoid there failure elsewhere in the system. Below from the NY Times last year

Around 900 British nationals traveled to Syria and Iraq to join the Islamic State, and hundreds of them died there. Some 450 have since returned, and the authorities have prosecuted around 10 percent, far fewer than countries like Belgium, France and Germany.
I could not care less that she was 15. She knew exactly what she was doing.

As regards the others it is a pity any of them were ever allowed back but we are dealing with Begum now and we are better off without her being here.