• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't think you're a regular visitor here, but it shouldn't take you too long to realise that our dear art (along with some notable others) live in an alternate universe.
And you must be one of those BOTS removed by Musk from twatter, and I claim my five bucks ! :cool:

Grecian2K

I don't think you're a regular visitor here, but it shouldn't take you too long to realise that our dear art (along with some notable others) live in an alternate universe.
And if you EVER ventured away from your own little goldfish bowl here and braved the exciting world of TWoWS you would at least know that Mr Moxey is a frequent (and sometimes intuitive) poster on City matters.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just think if folks had to produce a national ID card before accessing NHS care for example.
Not suggesting for a minute it doesn’t happen but, working in the NHS, I think you’ll find it [far] easier said than done to routinely access its services if you’re not ‘on the list’ so to speak.

arthur

Good afternoon art

Without wishing to cut across your exchanges with Mr Moxey, are you suggesting that only Tory voters participated in the Referendum when over 33 million valid votes were cast ?

As regards reading 10 chapters of weighty data most of us the Great Unwashed make a decision based on impression and considering a matter in the round. I don’t imagine too many of the kilted ones ploughed through all that stuff in 2014 do you ?
Good evening Alistair. You will see from my account of how the referendum was was designed, extremely sloppily by a Tory Prime Minister, that it was a very bad way of coming to an informed opinion. The responsibility for this lies with the Tory Party. And would you not agree that Cameron had a referendum purely for party management processes rather than anything else? How many times do you think that EU membership was raised on the doorstep as an issue people demanded a say on?

Of course the Tartan hordes didn't all read the Scottish Government document, but it did at least articulate what an independent Scotland would look like, and highlighted what the main issues were which could then be debated by referring back to said document. It was impossible to debate what Brexit Britain might look like, because no-one in favour had articulated it in any way that wasn't excessively vague and rose tinted. Attempts to discuss the downsides and possible problems (NI for example) were dismissed as project fear. The whole thing was an object lesson in how not to engage in direct democracy.

arthur

We have had such a discussion on this subject before art.
I don’t doubt it at all, it’s my perception that illegal access to employment and government services is made easier because we have a libertarian attitude to the adoption to ID cards of the type we see in countries like France.
I have a theory, based on no evidence at all, that our politicians are reluctant to adopt ID cards now because it would lay bare the scale of the how many people are living and working here under the radar as it were.
Just think if folks had to produce a national ID card before accessing NHS care for example.
I can'rt remember having this discussion with you, but I've no doubt others have. FWIW I agreed with Rory Stewart when he said it was about time we had ID cards - Google, Facebook, Amazon etc already have so much info about us that Government ID cards' data collection would be trivial by comparison. Amongst other things they would make immigration control much more straightforward and would end the ludicrous discrimination at polling stations whereby my old persons bus pass is acceptable ID but a student card isn't...

Alistair20000

I can'rt remember having this discussion with you, but I've no doubt others have. FWIW I agreed with Rory Stewart when he said it was about time we had ID cards - Google, Facebook, Amazon etc already have so much info about us that Government ID cards' data collection would be trivial by comparison. Amongst other things they would make immigration control much more straightforward and would end the ludicrous discrimination at polling stations whereby my old persons bus pass is acceptable ID but a student card isn't...
Yep. We happily give up all our data to the multinationals and yet rear up at ID cards. Not logical.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
We have had such a discussion on this subject before art.
I don’t doubt it at all, it’s my perception that illegal access to employment and government services is made easier because we have a libertarian attitude to the adoption to ID cards of the type we see in countries like France.
I have a theory, based on no evidence at all, that our politicians are reluctant to adopt ID cards now because it would lay bare the scale of the how many people are living and working here under the radar as it were.
As far as employment is concerned, doesn't an NI number achieve that already?

Grecian2K

Yep. We happily give up all our data to the multinationals and yet rear up at ID cards. Not logical.
Of course it is...assuming your prime objective is to disenfranchise that large (often left leaning) "underclass" who have neither had the chance, or money, to pass their driving test or ever had the need (or means) for a British passport.

Mr Jinx

I'm guessing our very own Hermie is feeling a little conflicted today given Sir Keith's latest announcement regarding private schooling.

Good job there aren't any other tax rises to lessen the impact....oh wait!!

Guffaw.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm guessing our very own Hermie is feeling a little conflicted today given Sir Keith's latest announcement regarding private schooling.

Good job there aren't any other tax rises to lessen the impact....oh wait!!

Guffaw.
Not really. I've always maintained private schools should not have charitable status and I'm happy to pay when the time comes.