• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Art hopes Starmer is being disingenuous. 😎
Amended for factuals

Mr Jinx

Amended for factuals
Well, it wouldn't at all be the first time Labour goes back on their word wrt Brexit. ;)

arthur

Well, it wouldn't at all be the first time Labour goes back on their word wrt Brexit. ;)
...and who would care all that much if they did again? Only people who are going to vote Tory or Reform anyway I suspect, The idea that Brexit is something hugely valuable, cherished and held dear by The British People, is something long past its sell by date. Do keep up...

Mr Jinx

...and who would care all that much if they did again?
Perhaps all those people who are up in arms over politicians lying?

But as I suspect, many, including yourself, who were exceedingly quick to chop down the likes of BJ after another porky, will no doubt be intensely relaxed about Sir K and his merry band of wokesters doing the same.

#LeftWingDoubleStandards

arthur

Something to cheer Tavy up, and some ammunition to use against those of us in our parallel universe. Brexit is like Communism - an excellent idea, the only problem is that it hasn't been done properly:

That said, the fact that a clear course for Brexit Britain has not been charted is a failure of historic portions. Boris Johnson’s headline-friendly soundbites boiled down to very little. Those who saw Britain’s future outside the EU as less regulated, less taxed, and more conducive to business have lost the argument to big-state Tories. Others naively thought that Brexit would exert a gravitational pull towards a lower-tax society. But Brexit was never, in and of itself, going to make Britain a stronger, fairer or lower-taxed country. It has simply provided new powers that can be used well, badly or – as demonstrated by this Tory government – barely at all.

tavyred

Tavy, can you tell me how a populist government would solve the illegal immigration problem? What are the populist things this government should be doing, but aren't?
There are plenty of examples of more a draconian attitude to illegals just rocking up to a country Art. Australia being one example with its offshore processing, Italy under its new far right government is showing promise by just refusing to let most land in Italy recently. Poland just built a wall and kept them on the other side of it until they just gave up, jumped on airplanes and went home again.
A populist U.K. government could end the taxpayer funded legal representation for economic immigrants that’s become a gravy train and a block on getting rid of these chancers, the same could said of the charitable sector that feeds on the channel crossings traffic and uses government money to do so.
The U.K. akin with most of Europe it seems could just ignore or park ECHR judgements. Tice was citing maritime law the other day where he claims ‘pushbacks’ are acceptable and used Greece as an example of a country that does so. Even today 50 Tory MP’s are imploring their own government to tweak the modern slavery laws that stops the immediate removal of Albanians.
I could go on.

arthur

There are plenty of examples of more a draconian attitude to illegals just rocking up to a country Art. Australia being one example with its offshore processing, Italy under its new far right government is showing promise by just refusing to let most land in Italy recently. Poland just built a wall and kept them on the other side of it until they just gave up, jumped on airplanes and went home again.
A populist U.K. government could end the taxpayer funded legal representation for economic immigrants that’s become a gravy train and a block on getting rid of these chancers, the same could said of the charitable sector that feeds on the channel crossings traffic and uses government money to do so.
The U.K. akin with most of Europe it seems could just ignore or park ECHR judgements. Tice was citing maritime law the other day where he claims ‘pushbacks’ are acceptable and used Greece as an example of a country that does so. Even today 50 Tory MP’s are imploring their own government to tweak the modern slavery laws that stops the immediate removal of Albanians.
I could go on.
Thank you

Grecian2K

Presumably Braverman will ensure that her next gig will be at Manston? 🙄

arthur

Talking of Starmer's actual, perceived or hoped for disingenuousness I think this sums up the situation pretty accurately

Only the most hysterical would pronounce this a Brexit betrayal - the fact is that there was no manifesto outlining what Brexit would look like; as Cummings explained it would have been far too difficult to produce one since so many people wanted so many different things. We will remain outside the EU which is the only thing that The People voted for....

Last edited:

Mr Jinx

Not really. I've always maintained private schools should not have charitable status and I'm happy to pay when the time comes.
How do you think the state system will deal with an estimated extra 50-100k intake were private fees to go up by 20%.