• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
It certainly is Tavy, You have a bunch of Trans people saying if you're a (Biological) man and you won't date trans women (Men with penises) it's not a preference, It's Transphobic! Also if you're a lesbian and won't date trans women (men with penises) that's transphobic too. 🤷‍♂️ Indeed a minefield.
Yep.
It does feel as if the pandering to the Trans lobby is a ‘marginalised minority’ too far for most people. Scotland’s GRR bill is in complete disarray, or at least as it pertains prisons anyway and it’s still early days for the rest of it.
So who knows.

DB9

Yep.
It does feel as if the pandering to the Trans lobby is a ‘marginalised minority’ too far for most people. Scotland’s GRR bill is in complete disarray, or at least as it pertains prisons anyway and it’s still early days for the rest of it.
So who knows.
There are another couple of stories about trans prisoners in Scotland that have committed sexual offences being in women's prisons, This is not a popular law the GRR in Scotland and these stories will not help its cause.

arthur

Yep.
So who knows.
I think some of your terms need to be qualified. There is nothing particularly radical about Catherine Bennett's feminism, she would probably describe herself simply as a feminist. And I think the trans lobby that, as you say, far too many normally sane and rational people seem to be pandering to, is a militant fringe. There are militant fringes of all sorts of rights groups, but rarely do they so comprehensively capture the mainstream. I imagine there are any number of transpeople who simply want to get on with their lives, free of prejudice and discrimination, who are not enamoured by the behaviour of this bunch of fundamentalists....

arthur

Last edited:

arthur

Further evidence, from an unimpeachable source, that the BBC was complicit in The Great Austerity Scam perpetrated by George Osborne and his coalition partners

For example... we think too many journalists lack understanding of basic economics or lack confidence reporting it. This brings a high risk to impartiality. In the period of this review, it particularly affected debt.

"Some journalists seem to feel instinctively that debt is simply bad, full stop, and don't appear to realise this can be contested and contestable."
Several such assumptions "seem to lurk like this either unnoticed or uncorrected", they added. "Others that outsiders observed in BBC coverage were: 'more public spending is good' and 'tax cuts are good.'"

Grecian2K

Mmmm, interesting one art. But an "independent review" about impartiality reported by dear old "Auntie" - overseen by its Tory Chairman and DG might, just possibly, be open to question?

Unlike, of course, the last two faltering bastions of the right wing tabloid MSM (The Heil and The Excess) who BOTH chose today to pollute their front pages (despite all else that's going on and affecting us all) with a brief teaser from page 117 from Johnson's forthcoming ghost-written but self-dictated hagiography: HOW NASTY MR PUTIN THREATENED TO KILL ME.

How very "convenient" from the last two remaining blue top ostriches. I mean, even the usually supine Torygraph led on the Zahawi scandal.

Mr Jinx

Oh dear. Krankie's completely tied herself up in knots over this. Whilst the likes of Rowling et al laugh loudly into their Horlicks....

DB9

We're being told that the British Army is no longer one of the top tier army's due to the serious cutting of numbers and equipment for the last couple of decades and Ben Wallace acknowleges this.

arthur

Oh dear. Krankie's completely tied herself up in knots over this. Whilst the likes of Rowling et al laugh loudly into their Horlicks....

To quote Animal Farm, Transwomen are women, but some are more women than others. The tangle that Sturgeon and others get into results from the fact that "Transwomen are Women" is a belief, an article of faith rather than something that can be argued about with factual evidence. There is a story in The Times today about the boycotting (needless to say) of a new video game called Hogwarts legacy. One of the actors who did the voiceovers has had to publicly repent saying "I believe wholeheartedly that trans women are women and trans men are men".

He believes and good for him. Other people believe differently. If I say to a Christian "I don't believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God" I don't get accused of Chistiaphobia, or told that I am being hateful. But if I question whether trans women are women I am unlikely to get a job at a university and risk getting more infraction points on Exeweb :cool:

Oldsmobile-88

Without getting into the debate because I don’t really understand it all tbh, The SNP & First Minister appear to have done their primary cause damage over the issue. Sturgeon whatever anyone thinks of her politics is a very canny politician with pretty good judgement on issues that rock the general public’s boat north of the border. This will not be one of them I suspect.