• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Call me miserable but I’ve never quite got the point of sitting in a theatre while a bloke just stands there doing nothing other than trying to make you laugh. As for political and social commentary comedy! Yuk!!
That's a shame. You never know, you might have enjoyed yourself!

Capture.JPG

tavyred

That's a shame. You never know, you might have enjoyed yourself!

View attachment 11334
I’m aware of Norcott, and as you would expect I quite like the bloke, but spaffing up cash to watch him is something I wouldn’t do. I don’t get the cult of comedy I’m afraid.

angelic upstart

I like Norcott but I wouldn't pay to see him.

I'm taking Mrs Upstart to see Mickey Flanagan later in the year as she's into that sort of thing. I'm just happy for a night out and a binge.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
One for Tavy and me to go to. Unfortunately I'll be away on October 7th

If you're looking for a comedy gig to go to in Exeter, I'd suggest hanging on for this one:

arthur

What I was trying to say, but Mr Murdoch's newspaper has said it for me

After all, this was the third attempt in as many years by ministers to explain how they plan to achieve the legally binding target of net zero emissions of greenhouse gasses by 2050. Indeed, it was because the 2021 energy strategy was so lacking in detail that the courts insisted ministers have another go. Meanwhile the latest announcements followed urgent warnings by all the government’s official advisers, including the Climate Change Committee, the National Infrastructure Commission, and the review of net zero undertaken by Chris Skidmore, a Conservative MP, that Britain is veering way off target.

Unfortunately there was little in the 2,800 pages of documents dumped on the government website yesterday morning that was likely to alter this verdict. Much of “Powering up Britain” consisted of restatements of existing policy and promises of future reviews. There was no new money to underpin the drive to limit Britain’s vulnerability to volatile gas prices by reducing its reliance on fossil fuels. An announcement on how the government intends to respond to the vast subsidies being thrown at clean energy by America and the European Union will have to wait until autumn.

Of course, the government’s reluctance to make strategic decisions partly reflects two self-imposed constraints. One is financial. Following Liz Truss’s disastrous mini-budget, the government is rightly determined to restore its fiscal credibility. But in setting a rule that debt must be falling in five years, it has limited its ability to invest in technologies that could substantially cut Britain’s fuel bill and boost growth in the longer term. Meanwhile, a reluctance to upset Tory MPs is surely to blame for one of the biggest disappointments yesterday: the failure to publish the long-delayed national policy statement for energy.....

Nonetheless, this paralysis carries political risks too. One is that, as Mr Skidmore has warned, Britain falls behind in the “global race” to lead the clean energy revolution, missing out on opportunities for future growth. A second is that failure to deliver net zero alienates younger voters for whom climate change is a priority. The third is that the combination of ambitious targets and flawed delivery provokes public anger. For example, the government has mandated that by next year, 22 per cent of new car sales must be electric. Yet so far there are just 38,000 public charge points out of a target of 300,000 by 2030. The government’s next plan will need to be better than this.

tavyred

Much concern Art that the massive planned investment in green businesses in the US will be an equally massive exercise in protectionism, the U.K. is right IMO to wait to see to see how the EU responds before it commits to similar levels of subsidies/investment.
The US are very much playing catch up to the U.K. as we are recognised to be leading the major industrialised nations and are already over half way to reaching our 2050 target on emissions
Don’t be unduly swayed by the vociferous U.K. green lobby in who’s interest it is to constantly peddle the myth that the U.K. is uniquely not getting its sh1t together with green issues.
We’re in a good place.

arthur

Much concern Art that the massive planned investment in green businesses in the US will be an equally massive exercise in protectionism, the U.K. is right IMO to wait to see to see how the EU responds before it commits to similar levels of subsidies/investment.
The US are very much playing catch up to the U.K. as we are recognised to be leading the major industrialised nations and are already over half way to reaching our 2050 target on emissions
Don’t be unduly swayed by the vociferous U.K. green lobby in who’s interest it is to constantly peddle the myth that the U.K. is uniquely not getting its sh1t together with green issues.
We’re in a good place.
You're about the only person who thinks so. Would you describe Tory MP Chris Skidmore as being a vociferous member of the Green lobby. And can you point me to a government plan that shows how we're going to have enough charging points for all these electric cars that are the only things allowed to be sold in seven years time? Or a plan to insulate homes and replace all these gas boilers? There's no plan at all, just a lot of wishing and hoping and pumping out misleading statistics that reassure the likes of you that everything's fine. Well it isn't...

BBC News - Net zero: Climate action delay will hurt economy, Tory MP’s review says

Alistair20000

You're about the only person who thinks so. Would you describe Tory MP Chris Skidmore as being a vociferous member of the Green lobby. And can you point me to a government plan that shows how we're going to have enough charging points for all these electric cars that are the only things allowed to be sold in seven years time? Or a plan to insulate homes and replace all these gas boilers? There's no plan at all, just a lot of wishing and hoping and pumping out misleading statistics that reassure the likes of you that everything's fine. Well it isn't...

BBC News - Net zero: Climate action delay will hurt economy, Tory MP’s review says
Don’t worry art Sir Keith will sort it all out if he wins next time and when he fails he will get the blame

arthur

We’re in a good place.
And a quick Google of your claim that we're leading green the world on emissions reduction reveals this to be a report from two years ago and that the fall came a) as a result of lockdown and b) was publicised mainly by the Mail, Express and Telegraph.

And, oh look,
"Emissions rose 4% in 2021 compared with 2020 as the economy began to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic."

Have a read of the Key messages

More up to date analysis here
At the moment, under 40% of the emissions reductions required to meet the UK’s NDC are supported by policies with proven delivery mechanisms and sufficient funding.

arthur

Don’t worry art Sir Keith will sort it all out if he wins next time and when he fails he will get the blame
At least he realises that it's an issue that needs to be take seriously. And that Ed Milliband will be leading on it rather than, er, Grant Shapps...