• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Port Vale v Exeter City. FA Cup first round. Matchday thread.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
You might want to check the Oxford dictionary Geoff, I thought you were a teacher? It can be used in a positive and negative way. No wonder education standards are slipping

Taylor often played in a way that was attack first, ask questions later. Anyone watching City over his 4 years would recognise this, or have you already forgotten the goalfests and exciting football like Harrogate at home?

Just admit you’re wrong and move on (which will be never)
I use Collins and Webster. Nothing very positive about gung-ho, it's excessive max. Play the ball, not the man

Antony Moxey

Yet again we’re making basic schoolboy errors at the back. I don’t care about the injury excuses, they simply don’t wash when you have professional footballers making such stupid mistakes over and over again. The two we conceded were absolutely laughable, I’d be disappointed if an U16 team made such a poor attempt at defending.

We had the same for the Plymouth game and now yesterday as well. Never mind all this ridiculous nonsense about whether Jevani Brown should be dropped to accommodate a system - yeah, brilliant idea, drop a player with ten goals and seven assists, good grief - what needs concentrating on is defending, because at the moment they - all of them - really aren’t cutting it at the back.

Leave the midfield and attack as it is, we’ve no problems finding the back of the net, Caldwell needs to sort the defence out as his number one priority because far too often carelessness is leading to far too many goals being conceded.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Geoff, I know you’re ancient but surely you can understand that what I’m doing here is wondering how a more cautious approach might be able to fit in three excellent attacking players into a league match (cup games being what they are, one offs)

Whereas Matt Taylor (club legend, my favourite City manager) tried to get all three of them on the pitch in League 1, I speculate that Caldwell’s more pragmatic style might mean there isn’t space for Jevani as much as we’d like to see.

I’ll include Geoff-explainers with all my posts going forward
For most of the season Matt Taylor played three out-and-out central midfielders and only switched to three up front when we didn't have enough midfielders to play his preferred formation.

grecIAN Harris

Yet again we’re making basic schoolboy errors at the back. I don’t care about the injury excuses, they simply don’t wash when you have professional footballers making such stupid mistakes over and over again. The two we conceded were absolutely laughable, I’d be disappointed if an U16 team made such a poor attempt at defending.

We had the same for the Plymouth game and now yesterday as well. Never mind all this ridiculous nonsense about whether Jevani Brown should be dropped to accommodate a system - yeah, brilliant idea, drop a player with ten goals and seven assists, good grief - what needs concentrating on is defending, because at the moment they - all of them - really aren’t cutting it at the back.

Leave the midfield and attack as it is, we’ve no problems finding the back of the net, Caldwell needs to sort the defence out as his number one priority because far too often carelessness is leading to far too many goals being conceded.
If you want to pick holes in the goals we conceded yesterday, I'll give it to you in two words................ Jake Caprice. He didn't track the run of the goal scorer for the first one and then didn't get out shut the winger down who crossed for the second one. The goals we concede are generally down to individual errors not a collective issue

Antony Moxey

If you want to pick holes in the goals we conceded yesterday, I'll give it to you in two words................ Jake Caprice. He didn't track the run of the goal scorer for the first one and then didn't get out shut the winger down who crossed for the second one. The goals we concede are generally down to individual errors not a collective issue
In the last two games we’ve seen errors from Caprice, Key and Hartridge at least leading to goals. If you want to pick holes join the rest of L1 because they all seem to be doing it at will, so yes it’s down to individual errors but everyone at the back is making them, and far too often.

iscalad

In the last two games we’ve seen errors from Caprice, Key and Hartridge at least leading to goals. If you want to pick holes join the rest of L1 because they all seem to be doing it at will, so yes it’s down to individual errors but everyone at the back is making them, and far too often.
It's quite simple. If the penalty area is crowded, whack it to row z and don't try to pass it out of defence.
Something GC has alluded to in his post match assessments.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
The glaringly obvious problem as many have remarked is that we have two players (Key and Sweeney) playing slightly out of positiion, albeit doing the best they can, and no defensive substitutes. If and when we get Diabate or perhaps even Stubbs back, this will correct itself. I assume Caprice who seems to have lost his confidence in the tackle but is good going forward will then revert to the bench, but we will remain vulnerable until then.

manc grecian

Bit harsh blaming Caprice for the first. Key caught square on

dontpassback

I think GC will know what needs sorting,and I would imagine giving away sloppy goals is one of the priorities

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
For most of the season Matt Taylor played three out-and-out central midfielders and only switched to three up front when we didn't have enough midfielders to play his preferred formation.
This is correct