• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Port Vale v Exeter City. FA Cup first round. Matchday thread.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Bit harsh blaming Caprice for the first. Key caught square on
Agreed. Key got caught in a poor body position and was at fault.
Agree that Caprice could have done more to stop the cross for the 2nd goal though.
GC in his Radio Devon post game interview actually commented that as a team we need to do better on stopping crosses.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
The glaringly obvious problem as many have remarked is that we have two players (Key and Sweeney) playing slightly out of positiion, albeit doing the best they can, and no defensive substitutes.
I’m not buying this. if we played a back three of Stansfield, Nombe and Brown I’d be disappointed if they made the mistakes are current defenders are making, not just here and there but regularly. It really is something that needs cutting out.

SaintJames

Well that was an enjoyable trip and one that will live long in the memory! Some observations which the highlights wont have picked up. Firstly in defending corners it was noticeable that we didnt have all players back but on at least one occasion we left two players up on the half way line. Saturday will tell whether that was an experiment or a departure from the Matt and Tiz era? Secondly, Archie Collins yes scored an incredible goal to win the game but what is so impressive is his control of the midfield. He glides across the surface never unhurried and always in total control of the ball. He passed short, he passed long but never seems to give the ball away. He appears everywhere on the pitch picking the ball up from the GK to start our transition then equally being available in the opposition box. Our first half performance was lack lustre to say the least across the whole team and we were fortunate to be going in level pegging. Defensively whilst we are forced to play Josh Key at the back we always look like conceding notably as we are then playing Jake Caprice who is offering little defensive cover to Josh. As soon as we have either Stubbs (fingers crossed) and/or Chieck available and can revert back to the Sweeny and Key right side combo the team will become much more resillient. Jamal's save at the end was excellent and on the whole he looked assured. Similarly I thought Jack Sparkes was a constant threat. Nothing to add really about Stanno and Jev that hasnt been said. GC's subs were spot on. The only minor negative was that Harry didnt put his foot through the ball and clear which lead to their equalizer but Archie dug him out ultimately

grecIAN Harris

Bit harsh blaming Caprice for the first. Key caught square on
Key got caught square because he had to go to the player with the ball running at him but then had the scorer running free outside of him because Caprice didn't track him. His inexperience at centre half left him indecisive in nomanlands and ultimately neither sticking or twisting as to what to do.

andrew p long

Harry Kite hugely relieved after his role in Port Vale's second goal.

The perils of coming on as a late sub when not attuned to conditions. His penalty area pass back to Sparkes was far too short with such a wet ball/heavy pitch.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’m not buying this. if we played a back three of Stansfield, Nombe and Brown I’d be disappointed if they made the mistakes are current defenders are making, not just here and there but regularly. It really is something that needs cutting out.
Any suggestions as to how ?

Antony Moxey

Any suggestions as to how ?
Nope, none whatsoever. Then again I have no experience of playing or managing so wouldn’t know where to start. Presumably it falls within Caldwell’s remit though so we’ll see how he does in that respect.

grecIAN Harris

Well that was an enjoyable trip and one that will live long in the memory! Some observations which the highlights wont have picked up. Firstly in defending corners it was noticeable that we didnt have all players back but on at least one occasion we left two players up on the half way line. Saturday will tell whether that was an experiment or a departure from the Matt and Tiz era? Secondly, Archie Collins yes scored an incredible goal to win the game but what is so impressive is his control of the midfield. He glides across the surface never unhurried and always in total control of the ball. He passed short, he passed long but never seems to give the ball away. He appears everywhere on the pitch picking the ball up from the GK to start our transition then equally being available in the opposition box. Our first half performance was lack lustre to say the least across the whole team and we were fortunate to be going in level pegging. Defensively whilst we are forced to play Josh Key at the back we always look like conceding notably as we are then playing Jake Caprice who is offering little defensive cover to Josh. As soon as we have either Stubbs (fingers crossed) and/or Chieck available and can revert back to the Sweeny and Key right side combo the team will become much more resillient. Jamal's save at the end was excellent and on the whole he looked assured. Similarly I thought Jack Sparkes was a constant threat. Nothing to add really about Stanno and Jev that hasnt been said. GC's subs were spot on. The only minor negative was that Harry didnt put his foot through the ball and clear which lead to their equalizer but Archie dug him out ultimately
My Ol' Man is going to love this. One of his pet hates under both Tisdale and Taylor was having everybody back for corners. Dad's view was you're inviting everybody on to you and giving them nothing else to think about. If you leave at least one up, they've got to keep a couple back to mark him and they don't have instant free reign on any ball cleared beyond the box and pick it up unchallenged. I know Tisdale and Taylor both felt it reduced the likelyhood of conceding.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nope, none whatsoever. Then again I have no experience of playing or managing so wouldn’t know where to start. Presumably it falls within Caldwell’s remit though so we’ll see how he does in that respect.
Nor me. I'm pretty sure that Key in particular is struggling to play out of position and once Diabate is match fit there ought to be improvement but that doesn't excuse the lack of concentration evident.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
My Ol' Man is going to love this. One of his pet hates under both Tisdale and Taylor was having everybody back for corners. Dad's view was you're inviting everybody on to you and giving them nothing else to think about. If you leave at least one up, they've got to keep a couple back to mark him and they don't have instant free reign on any ball cleared beyond the box and pick it up unchallenged. I know Tisdale and Taylor both felt it reduced the likelyhood of conceding.
Apparently stats back this up. Also more space in the box gives attackers an edge as they are running to head the ball and defenders are jumping from a static position. However I would prefer to leave a man upfield, especially when MJ is on the pitch, except perhaps in the final seconds when protecting a lead.