• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Portsmouth (away) 21st Jan

Ashford Grecian

If they do why is this a problem?
because i never sit down at matches and stand at the back

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Alternative route to Fratton for those coming from London and who want to avoid rail replacement buses. You can get directly to Fratton with the train from Waterloo that goes via Basongstoke, Eastleigh, Botley, etc.

sign of the chimes

Because if you’re made to sit down anywhere in Portsmouth’s away end you’re likely to have to sit on your seat cross legged in the lotus position.
Putting the 'om' in to Pompey.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
"Exeter are just about my favourite away following."

Just about ?????? :p

hjt_ecfc

Unfortunately I can no longer attend this match, so have a couple of adult tickets going spare for anyone who would like to buy them?

Boother

Away Pubs for Portsmouth?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Away Pubs for Portsmouth?
There's a few mentioned on this thread.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't know if demolished (yet) but it had been closed for some time - with a planning application pending - and was a fire on the site last year.

I think several of the pubs on that stretch were rammed on matchday but struggled otherwise, there are only a couple left now.

The Red, White and Blue was still going when I last went past! I think the last time I was in there was after full-time on the night we got promoted to the Premier League almost twenty years ago.
Hi SOC - no manager in sight yet ?

Just considering all pre-match real ale hospitality options for Saturday - is the Pompey Fanzone any good and away fan friendly as claimed ?
If so how much a pint ?

PUP & UTC

sign of the chimes

Hi SOC - no manager in sight yet ?

Just considering all pre-match real ale hospitality options for Saturday - is the Pompey Fanzone any good and away fan friendly as claimed ?
If so how much a pint ?

PUP & UTC
No. I think most of us were expecting a new manager to have been announced by now as we're apparently a well-run outfit these days who wouldn't sack their manager without having strong contingencies in place... Joking aside, I was expecting us to appoint earlier this week - I can't help feeling something, somewhere has gone wrong.

I'm afraid I've not experienced the Fanzone, it's a relatively new development and I tend to catch up with my group for a drink to the north of the city before getting a train in on matchdays. I think the Fanzone is organised by the club - and if they're saying it's away fan friendly then I've no reason to think it wouldn't be, but as I've not been I can't give any indication as to the ales on, or the price. If the beer in the home end is any guide then ale choice might be limited and suspect it will be a) not a great pint; b) not cheap.

Other than The Good Companion (usual away pub, mentioned upthread) - which last time I went in had the standard Greene King pub ales on (Old Speckled Hen, Abbot); and the Wetherspoons by Fratton Railway Station which I tend to use as an option of last resort ahead of midweek home games - I don't tend to do much drinking around the ground so not sure of the ale selections - but there are plenty of pubs within a twenty minute walk of the stadium and unless things have changed drastically in recent times most would probably be okay with well behaved away supporters (mentioned a couple I'd avoid as an away fan upthread).

My favourite pubs on Portsea Island are probably a bit far from the ground - The Hole In the Wall on Great Southsea Street always has a good/interesting selection of beers if anyone is down in Southsea pre-match.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
No. I think most of us were expecting a new manager to have been announced by now as we're apparently a well-run outfit these days who wouldn't sack their manager without having strong contingencies in place... Joking aside, I was expecting us to appoint earlier this week - I can't help feeling something, somewhere has gone wrong.

I'm afraid I've not experienced the Fanzone, it's a relatively new development and I tend to catch up with my group for a drink to the north of the city before getting a train in on matchdays. I think the Fanzone is organised by the club - and if they're saying it's away fan friendly then I've no reason to think it wouldn't be, but as I've not been I can't give any indication as to the ales on, or the price. If the beer in the home end is any guide then ale choice might be limited and suspect it will be a) not a great pint; b) not cheap.

Other than The Good Companion (usual away pub, mentioned upthread) - which last time I went in had the standard Greene King pub ales on (Old Speckled Hen, Abbot); and the Wetherspoons by Fratton Railway Station which I tend to use as an option of last resort ahead of midweek home games - I don't tend to do much drinking around the ground so not sure of the ale selections - but there are plenty of pubs within a twenty minute walk of the stadium and unless things have changed drastically in recent times most would probably be okay with well behaved away supporters (mentioned a couple I'd avoid as an away fan upthread).

My favourite pubs on Portsea Island are probably a bit far from the ground - The Hole In the Wall on Great Southsea Street always has a good/interesting selection of beers if anyone is down in Southsea pre-match.
Cheers SOC - good luck Saturday but, obviously, not as much as Exeter.
PUP & UTC