• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Portsmouth vs Exeter Match Day - 21 Jan 2023 - Thread

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don’t know who was doing the radio commentary but maybe Sohail Sahi

iscalad

I don’t know who was doing the radio commentary but maybe Sohail Sahi
see #37

suffolklad

Although Jamal has in a sense owned up to the mistake for the 2nd. I thought Jake should have closed the bloke down a lot quicker. He simply wasn't tight enough on the man.
Just an opinion.

sign of the chimes

Now obviously the result was disappointing but that wasn't the only thing. Part of the attraction of going today was to visit one the last, in it's almost truest form, of a proper old style footballing church (it's not quite big enough to be described as a footballing cathedral). That was all I expected it to be, proper old school in all it's glory. The other was to endure the Fratton Park atmosphere. What a disappointment. I was expecting a raucous to and froing between them and us in terms of chants and songs but no. Generally two songs and they only sing when they're winning. The Pompey School Choir down near us were trying to do their little bit but that was about it. 17000 of them and for the most part whilst they weren't in front, drowned out by our 1600. Poor...... really poor and pretty disappointing.
You're right, the atmosphere has been flat at Fratton Park for a while. Yesterday was particularly weird - to the extent that I mentioned it to a few people around me. I think there were a number of factors involved. First, before yesterday we'd not won a match league since October and not won in the league at home since 3rd September. Second, is a growing apathy around the direction/ownership of the club in general - which I suspect isn't unrelated to the first issue. Finally, I think there was a nervousness rather than anticipation about the crowd following the appointment of the new head coach the day before: that the appointment was so leftfield and was of someone with so little experience saw a noticably muted response, compared with any appointment I can remember in my time watching Pompey.

wiveygrecian

Although Jamal has in a sense owned up to the mistake for the 2nd. I thought Jake should have closed the bloke down a lot quicker. He simply wasn't tight enough on the man.
Just an opinion.
Spot on , and the same happened two minutes before when the same player skied an easy chance over . Where was Jake!!

DB9

You're right, the atmosphere has been flat at Fratton Park for a while. Yesterday was particularly weird - to the extent that I mentioned it to a few people around me. I think there were a number of factors involved. First, before yesterday we'd not won a match league since October and not won in the league at home since 3rd September. Second, is a growing apathy around the direction/ownership of the club in general - which I suspect isn't unrelated to the first issue. Finally, I think there was a nervousness rather than anticipation about the crowd following the appointment of the new head coach the day before: that the appointment was so leftfield and was of someone with so little experience saw a noticably muted response, compared with any appointment I can remember in my time watching Pompey.
You never know Sign, Tisdale had a similar response whe he was appointed and for a good few years no one could argue with his record, Also Taylor to a certain extent but he soon dispelled that, You know it will go one of two ways, Your fans just need to give him time then make an informed decision, As for the apathy around the ownership/club moving forward, Maybe they should think if your Trust was still in charge would the money being spent on improving the stadium etc be there? Your attendances are cracking but it takes a lot of money to run a club and this season I think L1 is probably the strongest it has been for many seasons.

sign of the chimes

You never know Sign, Tisdale had a similar response whe he was appointed and for a good few years no one could argue with his record, Also Taylor to a certain extent but he soon dispelled that, You know it will go one of two ways, Your fans just need to give him time then make an informed decision, As for the apathy around the ownership/club moving forward, Maybe they should think if your Trust was still in charge would the money being spent on improving the stadium etc be there? Your attendances are cracking but it takes a lot of money to run a club and this season I think L1 is probably the strongest it has been for many seasons.
As you say, you never know. I think the concern with Mousinho is that unlike when you appointed Tisdale (or some of our historical appointments), he hasn't had any managerial or first team coaching experience at any level. He's just had 18 months helping out as player-coach with alongside Karl Robinson's actual coaching team.

I won't go in to the ins and outs of the arguments around PFC ownership - or my thoughts - here as it's a complex and quite emotive issue and more imporantly probably very boring to non-PFC supporters. The top of League 1 has been getting progressively stronger over the past few years - it could plausiby include one or more of Birmingham, Stoke, Cardiff next season as well.

DB9

As you say, you never know. I think the concern with Mousinho is that unlike when you appointed Tisdale (or some of our historical appointments), he hasn't had any managerial or first team coaching experience at any level. He's just had 18 months helping out as player-coach with alongside Karl Robinson's actual coaching team.

I won't go in to the ins and outs of the arguments around PFC ownership - or my thoughts - here as it's a complex and quite emotive issue and more imporantly probably very boring to non-PFC supporters. The top of League 1 has been getting progressively stronger over the past few years - it could plausiby include one or more of Birmingham, Stoke, Cardiff next season as well.
All in all he's got a 100% record with you :) You deserved your win yesterday imo (Especially in the 2nd half) I was expecting more from your fans rather than "Form 4B" on a day off school near where we were housed, As for the ownership etc, Nothing is ever straight forward but Fratton Park, Great old school stadium that when rocking is hard to beat but is showing its age and creaking a bit.

Bilbo-baggins

Not sure where to post this, but I guess here is good. You guys have been the best at Fratton the last few years. I used to think Your nemesis Plymouth were pretty good. You surpass them. You have a lot of praise on the main Pompey website today. Good luck. Play up Pompey.

Bilbo-baggins

All in all he's got a 100% record with you :) You deserved your win yesterday imo (Especially in the 2nd half) I was expecting more from your fans rather than "Form 4B" on a day off school near where we were housed, As for the ownership etc, Nothing is ever straight forward but Fratton Park, Great old school stadium that when rocking is hard to beat but is showing its age and creaking a bit.
Our fans were great yesterday. So were yours. Our ground is immensely improved, but we want another 10,000 seats.