• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Remaining Fixtures

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think we need to get 6 points (minimum 4) from these next two home games if we are going to make the playoffs.
6 points would allow us to gain confidence and momentum, in addition to motivating the fans. For me 4 points would mean just more pressure for the following 4 games.

Colesman Ballz

6 points would allow us to gain confidence and momentum, in addition to motivating the fans. For me 4 points would mean just more pressure for the following 4 games.
Maths ain't your strong point Indo ! Following these two home games there are just three left, or perhaps five/six if we do make the play-offs ! :S

grecIAN Harris

Swindon and Oldham have to play each other which will cancel out the hopes of one of them. Oldham also have to play us and Mansfield. Newport are effectively another point behind with that goal difference. Colchester's form is poor bordering on abysmal at the moment. Tranmere are either going to blow up or, going on their current form, go straight up.

IndoMike

Yep : 3, not 4

andrew p long

Swindon and Oldham have to play each other which will cancel out the hopes of one of them. ..QUOTE]
Indeed , which is good news .. but the bad news is that if one loses then the other one wins and will be right on our tails. Swindon would be level on points with us .
If Oldham win, then they would overtake us if they won against us.

Best Hope is Swindon- Oldham to end in a draw.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Indeed , which is good news .. but the bad news is that if one loses then the other one wins and will be right on our tails. Swindon would be level on points with us .
If Oldham win, then they would overtake us if they won against us.

Best Hope is Swindon- Oldham to end in a draw.
Also, Oldham and Newport's matches in hand are against each other. But the same applies - if either win, they get 3 points in the catch up.

Basically we need all the rest to draw lots of matches while we win.

Not optimistic.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
A crazy season with 12 teams still in with a chance of being promoted and as an aside League One any four of 12 teams in danger of being relegated.

In total 62 games to be played and 33 of those are between the 12 teams still in contention.

Trying to be as unbiased as possible I have:

Automatic Promotion:
Lincoln 98 pts
Mansfield and MK Dons equal on 83 pts.

Playoffs:
Bury 80 pts
Tranmere 78 pts
FGR 72 pts

Leaving 7th place to be taken by either City, Carlisle, Colchester, Swindon, Oldham and Newport.

My finishing predictions being:
Swindon 70 pts
City and Carlisle equal 69 pts
Colchester and Newport equal 66 pts
Newport 65 pts
Oldham 64 pts

Colchester have a very difficult run in their last two games being MK Dons at home and Lincoln away. Although I think both these teams will have been promoted with two games still to play and if they are on the beach then my current assessment of Colchester’s final points tally of 66 could be shot to pieces and see them finish on 72 pts a total which , however very unlikely, would then probably see them finishing above us.

To my mind Carlisle and Swindon are the major threats although as both have a final game against one of the teams currently in the hot seats Carlisle away to Yeovil and Swindon home to Notts County a lot might depend on whether one or both still have hopes of avoiding the drop.

I have perhaps been too pessimistic with City’s results i.e. win Saturday’s game at home to Port Vale and draw the remainder 7 pts in total. However if we can turn two of those draws into wins and finish up with 73 pts we would be safely in the playoffs. We might even be able to afford losing two games finishing with 71 pts but that to say the least would be cutting it fine.

This Saturday the only two teams in our group playing each other are Oldham home to Swindon so ideal scenario a draw and FGR lose at home to rejuvenated Macclesfield, Carlisle lose at Stevenage, Colchester lose at Bury and Newport lose at Cambridge.

All feasible results we of course have to win which if we did would then see us in 6th place on 65 pts one point ahead of FGR and 4 points ahead of 8th place Carlisle. One thing for sure “the fat lady” hasn’t even arrived at the theatre yet. UTC.

Red Devon

Gut feeling

PortVale - Win
Crawley - Win
Stevenage -Win
Oldham - Draw
FGR - Lose

Leaves us on 71 Points

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Gut feeling

PortVale - Win
Crawley - Win
Stevenage -Win
Oldham - Draw
FGR - Lose

Leaves us on 71 Points
It would be close but I think that would see us finish 7th and in the playoffs.

Oldsmobile-88

Gut feeling

PortVale - Win
Crawley - Win
Stevenage -Win
Oldham - Draw
FGR - Lose

Leaves us on 71 Points
71 was enough in 2016/17....Stevenage away will be tricky.