• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Scottish football.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
anyone up for relocating exeter up 2 scotland? we would be uefa cup in 2 seasons ;)
Yes there are more Full time teams in the BSP,than the 30 that make up the SFL..(Or Iron-Bru as its called now)

B

Barmy Grecian

Yes a lot of Junior teams(Scots non-league) in the central belt around Glasgow & Edinburgh are probably better than some of the teams in the 3rd Div,but there is no automatic promotion or relegation,only when the SL is expanded,do any of the leading lights get a chance.
There was a lot of resentment at Gretna getting a league spot(after Airdrieonians going bust) because they had played all of their football in English non league(Unibond 1st Division) & played in the English FA cup 1st round(against Rochdale)
I dont think it was airdrie that went bust It was clyde bank, I do think they should allow promotion and relegation from scotland division 3.

brayford grecian

barmy, u seem to have a good knowledge of scottish football, i thought i was meant to be scottish not u? :-O

B

Barmy Grecian

I have been to scotand a lot because my nan and grandad lived up there so I visited them a lot in inverness and as my grandad supported inverness I watched them a few times and since then I have been looking at scotish non league and scottish league, Bassically I am never interested in english premier league I am interested in non league and scottish football and scottish non league and have loads of books, I am sure your scottish though brayford ;). But yeh I enjoy my scottish football and know pretty much everything there is to know about scottish football.

MikeB

Anyone remember Third Lanark? I called into their old ground many years ago. Never saw them play though.

The oddity about the Scottish Cup is that the junior sides do not enter it! This despite their undoubted superiority in terms of playing standards and crowds in some cases compared to lower Scottish League clubs.The juniors have their own cup competition.

The only non-league sides to enter the cup are teams from the likes of the East of Scotland League, South of Scotland League and the Highland League. There are teams from the former two leagues who play on nothing much more than a park pitch.

B

Barmy Grecian

Yep only teams from the highland league can enter beow the third division but dont see why, there are many teams in scotand that I think woud do well in the cup, I remember spartans not long ago who got to the third round of the scottish cup beating some decent teams, I have heard of third lanark,didnt they once win the scottish premier league? but now there are ony 2 teams that are winning it which are Celtic and Rangers and maybe aberdeen. I can remeber when inverness beat celtic and the inverness fans sung 'super caley went belistic and celtic were atrocious' an brilliant song.

Last edited:
B

Barmy Grecian

BTW Mike do you have any scottish programs spare as I would happily buy some off of you for a decent price?

MikeB

I have been to scotand a lot because my nan and grandad lived up there so I visited them a lot in inverness and as my grandad supported inverness I watched them a few times and since then I have been looking at scotish non league and scottish league,

You must remember the three Inverness clubs then before the amalgamation (not favoured by many) to form Inverness Caledonian Thistle? I recall spending some time going to visit Inverness Clachnacuddin (still in existence); Inverness Thistle and Inverness Caledonians. Must have been back in the 1970s.

Called into Caledonian Thistle's ground a couple of years back. Managed to have a good look round. I bet it's cold there in the winter with the wind whistling off the Moray Firth. You get a great view of the ground (look right into it) when coming south into Inverness over the Kessock Bridge.

B

Barmy Grecian

I always follow Devonrale, as Steve Dolan plays for them.
btw lammie it is deveronvale.

MikeB

BTW Mike do you have any scottish programs spare as I would happily buy some off of you for a decent price?
Other than a lot of Brechin City issues, i do have quite a few Scottsh club issues, but I don't really want to part with them.