• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Scottish football.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Queens Park will play in the 2nd tier of Scottish football for the first time since the leagues were reorganised from two to three divisions in 1975.
They beat Airdrie 2-1 (aet) in the 2nd leg(3-2)
Two consecutive promotions.

Queens Park were unique in UK senior football, Amateur. A status its members voted to drop at the end of 2019.
Queens Park played their last game at Hampden Park, their home since 1903 in March 2021. Ownership was transferred to the SFA the previous year. Queens pocketed a £5m fee.

They ground shared at Firhill(Partick Thistle FC) in 21/22.

Lesser Hampden, a training ground which is close to Hampden Park is being refurbished to accommodate Queens Park as their new home in time for their season in the Scottish Championship.

les.gtfc

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned about Arbroath. Their dream of playing in The Premier League next season is over after losing on penalties to Inverness Caledonian Thistle after 2 nil nil draws.

I watched the game the other night and at one stage they were playing against 8 men. Caley had a player sent off half-way through the 2nd half and then lost another player to injury later in the game having used all their subs. They then had a player off the field for a short while receiving treatment for a cut to the head but Arbroath couldn't capialise. When the game went to extra-time one further sub was allow so this put Caley back up to 10 men but towards the end of extra time they had another player sent off so this put them down to 9. Despite this Arbroath could not score and ended up losing 5-3 on penalties.

Whether they will have such a good season next time around remains to be seen but I don't think they get a better chance of promotion than they did this year.

Oldsmobile-88

I can't see the Blue Brazil over turning that in the second leg,
They lost 1-0 at Central Park, thus bringing to a end 117 years of league football at the former mining town in Fife.

As recently as 2015 Cowdenbeath were in the 2nd tier of Scottish Football.

les.gtfc

I think it's about time they went to a 2 up 2 down system in Scotland. Presently the champions of the Highland League and The Lowland League have to play off, for the right to face the bottom team in Scotland. Even harder to get out of than the National League.

i8cornwall

They lost 1-0 at Central Park, thus bringing to a end 117 years of league football at the former mining town in Fife.

As recently as 2015 Cowdenbeath were in the 2nd tier of Scottish Football.
I wasn't surprised to see them drop out of the SPFL, I think this is probably start to be a normal occurrence now with some of the money being spent in the lowland and Highland league's.

Nice to have a new club in the 42 mind and the other play off's in the higher divisions have disappointed either.

les.gtfc

I wasn't surprised to see them drop out of the SPFL, I think this is probably start to be a normal occurrence now with some of the money being spent in the lowland and Highland league's.

Nice to have a new club in the 42 mind and the other play off's in the higher divisions have disappointed either.
It's shown recently the standard of the Highland and Lowland leagues when you look at the progress of teams like Cove Rangers and Kelty Hearts recently and going back even further Ross County and Inverness Caley were only in The Highland League.

Oldsmobile-88

A uncomfortable time at the stadium for some Rangers fans at the Europa League Final.

dontpassback

A uncomfortable time at the stadium for some Rangers fans at the Europa League Final.

That is appalling organisation,and someone should be held responsible for it,but I doubt anything will be done to ensure it doesn’t happen again

Oldsmobile-88

The Scottish FL Table at the end of the 1923/24 season.
This was the first season for the newly formed Scottish Third Division.
It only lasted 3 seasons before the league format returned to 2 divisions.

62E061C9-9AF2-4C94-94EE-C2FF79E982E7.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

I was watching a humorous BBC Scotland programme on iplayer looking back a various Cup Finals. The one I watched was the 1988 final between Celtic & Dundee Utd, future Grecian keeper Alan McKnight was in the Celtic team that won the game 2-1. McKnight played 10 games at SJP in 1994. Scottish Cup winner at SJP, that must be unique ?

Jim McLean was the Dundee Utd manager at the time(1971-93) Winning the SPL(1983) reaching the European Cup Semi Finals, narrowly losing to Roma 3-2 thus missed out on a all British Final against Liverpool. Dundee Utd got to the UEFA Final in 1987 again losing narrowly.

Jim McLean resigned as a director at Tannidice in 2000 after he punched a TV reporter during a interview after a game, giving the fella a cut lip !