• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sheffield Wednesday (h) ticket availability

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bit early for fishing!!

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I always think, given the way Brits are, that if the club wished to sell tickets for a game they should put out the message that there are plenty of tickets left and there's no need to rush to buy them early.

andrew p long

the reason for the timing may be to do with Wednesday's allocation which went on sale yesterday. If our arrangements are complex there seem to be 20 different categories for Wednesday away fans (based on'Ticketing Priority Points').

If Wednesday sell out in the next couple of days then some of their fans might just be tempted to buy in the home sections...

denzel

the reason for the timing may be to do with Wednesday's allocation which went on sale yesterday. If our arrangements are complex there seem to be 20 different categories for Wednesday away fans (based on'Ticketing Priority Points').

If Wednesday sell out in the next couple of days then some of their fans might just be tempted to buy in the home sections...
What checks are there on away fans buying tickets in the home ends?

Alistair20000

What checks are there on away fans buying tickets in the home ends?
We had three Ipswich fans next to us on Saturday so minimal checks I would think or they found a workaround

Spoonz Red E

We had three Ipswich fans next to us on Saturday so minimal checks I would think or they found a workaround
There's a limit to the checking that can be done at point of sale.

Online sales or phone sales
We can look for brand new accounts or away team postcode areas with group sales but even then there will be, for this match for example, legitimate City fans who live in Sheffield or nearby.

Over the counter sales
Away fans can be living here (students, exiles etc)
Sometimes City fans buy for 'away' fans (visiting family or friends) without us knowing.

Matchday sales.
Hard to check everyone who buys at the booth due to time pressures but stewards are there for anything out of order to be reported to.

I expect a fair few City fans over the years have bought tickets in the 'wrong' end for our away games.
Often it's not a problem and the 'away' fan to all intents and purposes will watch as a 'neutral'.

The standing rule is that if it becomes a known issue during a match the away fan should expect to be asked to leave the home area.
The vast majority of tickets are tied to a purchase account so retrospective tracking can be done if any follow up measures are needed.

By choice, most fans would want to be with their own.

Alistair20000

There's a limit to the checking that can be done at point of sale.

Online sales or phone sales
We can look for brand new accounts or away team postcode areas with group sales but even then there will be, for this match for example, legitimate City fans who live in Sheffield or nearby.

Over the counter sales
Away fans can be living here (students, exiles etc)
Sometimes City fans buy for 'away' fans (visiting family or friends) without us knowing.

Matchday sales.
Hard to check everyone who buys at the booth due to time pressures but stewards are there for anything out of order to be reported to.

I expect a fair few City fans over the years have bought tickets in the 'wrong' end for our away games.
Often it's not a problem and the 'away' fan to all intents and purposes will watch as a 'neutral'.

The standing rule is that if it becomes a known issue during a match the away fan should expect to be asked to leave the home area.
The vast majority of tickets are tied to a purchase account so retrospective tracking can be done if any follow up measures are needed.

By choice, most fans would want to be with their own.
I agree Spoonz. A pretty much impossible job and my post was not meant to be in any way critical.

The behaviour of the Ipswich fans next to us was exemplary. Proper Chaps.

Aside from them we had a Leicester fan and his wife near us who were in Devon for a weekend break and wanted to see some football.

andrew p long

As Alistair has said, a pretty much impossible job for the reasons Spoonz mentions (I was going to do a spoof about an 'accent algorithm checker' for phone sales!)

On the rule quoted above, is that in the terms and conditions somewhere? The reason I ask is 'asked to leave the home area' presumably means ejection from the ground if the away end is full?

Last edited by a moderator:

Spoonz Red E

There is a clause in the EFL ground regulation which the Club is subject to:

"19 Any individual who has entered any part of the Ground designated for the use of any group of supporters to which they do not belong may be ejected from the Ground either for the purposes of their own safety or for any other reason."

The main thing is that if a stewarding issue develops as a result of an away fan being in the wrong area then a sensible step is to deal with the immediate catalyst.

It doesn't mean to say that home fans have a free pass in that situation in terms of liability for any aggressive or abusive behaviour which ensues.

It's a judgement call at the time but, if it is considered safe and proportionate, an away fan could be re-located in a suitable home area rather than ejected completely.

Each instance would depend on the merits of the moment and stewarding resources available.

Last edited: