• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sides on the Bank

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Been discussed loads of times I know đŸ˜… However looking at the ground and how tidy it is now (we even have the big screen) - perhaps the smaller improvements could be looked at?

I think this would make a big acoustic contribution to what already is a great atmosphere. Would increase advertising space, especially TV facing.

Strikes me as something that people would get behind for a Trust fundraiser, were there any engineering issues which would make this an issue?

elginCity

Fully agree and would be happy to chip in. The cladding on the Barn Park End as an example.

The biggest asset at SJP is not being maximised - funnel the noise towards the pitch where it’s most needed. At presumably little cost, relatively speaking. But that’s a guess, and not from a structural engineer !

#cladthebank

robchave

Be interested to see some costings. In principle seems a good idea.

Thames Valley Red

I suspect the costs for canopies with graphics are not earth shattering, would also reduce the impact of the elements on a windy day. They look great at Bournemouth for example. Also as has been said some creative canopies in red square would be an additional benefit. They would pay for themselves with a sponsor supporting the graphics - great idea.

Antony Moxey

The only thing I would say is whether the structure itself is man enough to handle sides. The roof would need to support a fairly large additional weight that it wasn't designed for, plus the wind would turn them into two giant sails which would put a huge strain on fixings. My guess is it would needed to have been designed with sides from the off rather than as a later addition.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
The only thing I would say is whether the structure itself is man enough to handle sides. The roof would need to support a fairly large additional weight that it wasn't designed for, plus the wind would turn them into two giant sails which would put a huge strain on fixings. My guess is it would needed to have been designed with sides from the off rather than as a later addition.
That's my understanding too. IIRC this was said some years ago when the idea was previously raised? The SASS also doesn't have a full side panel even on the blank end, presumably for the same reasons.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ant, it could perhaps be done using brick infills at the sides. Taking these to to roof could be used as additional support for the roof.

Antony Moxey

Ant, it could perhaps be done using brick infills at the sides. Taking these to to roof could be used as additional support for the roof.
I'm no engineer by any stretch, but I'm not sure that that would work without a fairly substantial support for the brickwork. It'd still be a huge heavy curtain so would need a lot of internal support and be of more than one skin too. If it were possible I would suggest the lightest material possible ought to be used. But as I say, I'm no engineer.

Andy_H

If you, bite your tongue and, look at Glos rugby's ground at Kingsholm Stadium on Google Earth, you'll notice that they have Stowford Press cider adverts on the ends of their 'BB' type stand similar to what Max suggests.
A few years ago now but, when i inquired at ECFC whether this was possible on our BB i was informed that the BB roof supports, as Ant suspected, were not strong enough to take the pressure created by the wind, basically it would make the BB into a huge sail. Visions of Winnie the Pooh and the windy day spring to mind!

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you, bite your tongue and, look at Glos rugby's ground at Kingsholm Stadium on Google Earth, you'll notice that they have Stowford Press cider adverts on the ends of their 'BB' type stand similar to what Max suggests.
A few years ago now but, when i inquired at ECFC whether this was possible on our BB i was informed that the BB roof supports, as Ant suspected, were not strong enough to take the pressure created by the wind, basically it would make the BB into a huge sail. Visions of Winnie the Pooh and the windy day spring to mind!
Also it was only last season that a match was postponed because of the roof in the strong wind forecast at the time, so any extra stress put on it would surely make it even more unsafe (leyman's point of view)