• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

SJP capacity

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Personally miss a heaving big bank, the 10% reduction is noticeable.
There has to be a balance, surely?

Justin Quick explained at the Trust AGM yesterday that the "Green Book" is now based on 4 persons per square metere, down from 4 point something, as people are bigger and bulkier etc.

It's more noticeable in the away end, where the allwed number is very conservative; there was room for at least another 100 there at the Bristol game, it will be interesting to see how crowded it seems next Saturday.

BTW even with a sell-out crowd there is always room at the railway end of the BB.

That said, personally I don't miss the overcrowding - though it's obviously not like the 1960s when terraces were downright dangerous when there was pushing after a goal was scored, kids got trampled; and especially towards the end of the game the smell of p*ss was rank.

Red Bill

And where would this few hundred and that half of the Bank go for a ****?
Build it on top of the toilets then. Would have a much better view if the terrace was higher up and help to enclose the ground more.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Build it on top of the toilets then. Would have a much better view if the terrace was higher up and help to enclose the ground more.
I think it would block the view from some of the seats in the SAS.

Red Bill

Oh i suppose it would. Damn, thought I'd finally sorted out the bleddy gap!:D

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
To be honest with you as someone who moved away from Exeter nearly 30 years ago and therefore only attend two or three home games a season whilst visiting my mum I have never stood on that part of the big bank and had no idea there were toilets there.
When the student block was built behind the Big Bank we lost the catering hut and toilets behind it. Replacement catering facilities and toilets were added in the 'gap'.

TBH though, the catering and toilet capacity is insufficient.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Oh i suppose it would. Damn, thought I'd finally sorted out the bleddy gap!:D
You are Pate and I claim my five quid ! :p

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry Bill, but this has been gone over again and again. It is just not feasible. Blame Notwork Rail who just said a very firm "no" to extending over the Jugle Path, even on a flying freehold.

But I wish I had a bottle of something nice every time someone proposes filling in the so-called gap. I'd be well sloshed.

Phil Sayers

Personally miss a heaving big bank, the 10% reduction is noticeable.
The Big Bank at capacity (particularly previously but still the case after the reduction) feels a lot more crammed than other stands I have been in at capacity. I don't think it is (or was) unsafe but I can understand the Club being cautious about having a stand that is noticeably more rammed than other club's equivalents.

Red Bill

Sorry Bill, but this has been gone over again and again. It is just not feasible. Blame Notwork Rail who just said a very firm "no" to extending over the Jugle Path, even on a flying freehold.

But I wish I had a bottle of something nice every time someone proposes filling in the so-called gap. I'd be well sloshed.
It was a bit of tongue in cheek comment John, but what I suggested and SRJ pointed out the problem with, wouldn't impinge on the jungle path (unless the current toilets already do), it would just look a bit odd!

Oldsmobile-88

There has to be a balance, surely?

Justin Quick explained at the Trust AGM yesterday that the "Green Book" is now based on 4 persons per square metere, down from 4 point something, as people are bigger and bulkier
I blame Bat Fastard 😎😁