• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

SJP capacity

Boyo

📝 St James Park Capacity - News - Exeter City FC

"This reduces our capacity to 8219 before segregation and any unused away capacity"

The realistic maximum is therefore 1,300 away (350 + 950) and 6,800 or so home, say just over 8,000 in total. The unused away capacity is not generally available for home fans for logistical reasons.

It was 7,816 for the Bristol Rovers game (where they also sold all their allocation and after over 60 no-shows, 1,232 away) and 6,514 home.

If we sell out the home seats and all but 600 on the BB and Posh only bring 400 that indicates a realistic attendance of around 6,500, less any no-shows where we get the money anyway (ST holders are counted whether they attend or not).
I've pinched John's useful post above from another thread as it probably warrants its own space.

If we are regularly attracting 6k home fans to SJP and the limit is 6.8k, do we really need to start considering realistic options of increasing the capacity at SJP? We are riding a wave in terms of home attendances so we need to consolidate and push further. If we want to continue to progress and and increase income then this seems like the next logical step.

What options do we have?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Any changes to the ground need to take into account the requirements of the EFL regulations, if were serious about being in the Championship then we're going to lose seats to accommodate those changes.

Have a read through the regulations!

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
It would be great, but sadly the capital costs of affecting a significant increase in capacity, is likely to be prohibitive. The only possible option would be a redevelopment of the away end.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
It would be great, but sadly the capital costs of affecting a significant increase in capacity, is likely to be prohibitive. The only possible option would be a redevelopment of the away end.
If we wanted to stay at SJP then IMO there's only one way to significantly increase capacity but it would come at significant cost - buy up everything behing the Selco, knock it all down, turn the pitch 90 degrees (sorry Chas) and rebuild the Selco. There'd potentially be some retail space or a bar open all week facing onto Old Tivvy Road.

Then rebuild the Big Bank along the whole length of the pitch (properly this time with facilities underneath) and finally put a decent sized stand along the St James side.

Oh and then buy the student block behind the Bank and turn it into the Grecian Village Hotel.

Never gonna happen.

KentGrecian

Any changes to the ground need to take into account the requirements of the EFL regulations, if were serious about being in the Championship then we're going to lose seats to accommodate those changes.

Have a read through the regulations!

Fascinating. Lots of emphasis on providing the highest level of facilities and parking for directors!

KentGrecian

I think our capacity is adequate for the time being, it would be wrong to increase it until a few seasons in league one (hopefully). Even then, its so unlikely I don't think it will happen for years and years considering the costs and space available.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think our capacity is adequate for the time being, it would be wrong to increase it until a few seasons in league one (hopefully). Even then, its so unlikely I don't think it will happen for years and years considering the costs and space available.
By then we would have taken Shandy Park off the hands of the impecunious Chiefs! 🤣

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
If we wanted to stay at SJP then IMO there's only one way to significantly increase capacity but it would come at significant cost - buy up everything behing the Selco, knock it all down, turn the pitch 90 degrees (sorry Chas) and rebuild the Selco.
We've had this before about turning the pitch 90 degrees - it physically won't fit, the car park area behind the old school building isn't long enough to accommodate the width of a pitch.

Boyo

What about smaller increases though? If we cannot do that then it really feels like our potential is severely limited. I'd like to think that the Club board and Trust are looking at this.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
What about smaller increases though? If we cannot do that then it really feels like our potential is severely limited. I'd like to think that the Club board and Trust are looking at this.
My recollection from the discussions that took place at the time of the SASS development is that the only realistic and affordable option is to wrap round from the SASS at the corner of Well Street / St James Road and replace the Barnet covered terrace with a small double decker stand. We would have to do this (and turn the BB into a seated stand) if we got into the Championship and stayed there. We can dream...