• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

SJP capacity

Fareham Grecian

I've pinched John's useful post above from another thread as it probably warrants its own space.

If we are regularly attracting 6k home fans to SJP and the limit is 6.8k, do we really need to start considering realistic options of increasing the capacity at SJP? We are riding a wave in terms of home attendances so we need to consolidate and push further. If we want to continue to progress and and increase income then this seems like the next logical step.

What options do we have?
I would have thought that if our home ticket sales are averaging a few hundred short of capacity, then the stadium is currently the perfect size…

Boyo

I would have thought that if our home ticket sales are averaging a few hundred short of capacity, then the stadium is currently the perfect size…
If we have any ambition to further increase the average crowds, then we hit a brick wall very soon.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
My recollection from the discussions that took place at the time of the SASS development is that the only realistic and affordable option is to wrap round from the SASS at the corner of Well Street / St James Road and replace the Barnet covered terrace with a small double decker stand. We would have to do this (and turn the BB into a seated stand) if we got into the Championship and stayed there. We can dream...
I certainly have a way of financing this project at no cost to the Club. I'll discuss it with Nick Hawker at some time in the near future.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
I certainly have a way of financing this project at no cost to the Club. I'll discuss it with Nick Hawker at some time in the near future.
Please let it be nothing to do with steak and chips.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
We've had this before about turning the pitch 90 degrees - it physically won't fit, the car park area behind the old school building isn't long enough to accommodate the width of a pitch.
Of course it will fit if you do as I suggested.

...buy up everything behing the Selco, knock it all down,

Antony Moxey

What, all the houses as far as Old Tiverton Road? Sorry, I thought you were trying to suggest something realistic.

sidney

My recollection from the discussions that took place at the time of the SASS development is that the only realistic and affordable option is to wrap round from the SASS at the corner of Well Street / St James Road and replace the Barnet covered terrace with a small double decker stand. We would have to do this (and turn the BB into a seated stand) if we got into the Championship and stayed there. We can dream...
This is surely the only logical and affordable way forward. I would add that the small triangle of land between the NOG and the Big Bank is also potentially available. My thinking is that it might offer increased flexibility ( and segregation? ) when it came to accommodating away fans.

Antony Moxey

This is surely the only logical and affordable way forward. I would add that the small triangle of land between the NOG and the Big Bank is also potentially available. My thinking is that it might offer increased flexibility ( and segregation? ) when it came to accommodating away fans.
It isn’t, it’s too small and the cost per extra seat to develop that area is just too high.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
What, all the houses as far as Old Tiverton Road? Sorry, I thought you were trying to suggest something realistic.
Yep

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
It isn’t, it’s too small and the cost per extra seat to develop that area is just too high.
Which is why I suggested something unrealistic and caveated it with 'if we want to stay at SJP'.

Realistically the only option is a new build in Cranbrook.