• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sports tv rights thread

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
The last deal was great for me. The problem with theses types of deals is the BBC tend to go for the ‘big name ties’ . They just can’ t resist showing Man Utd etc even if there are more interesting games in a round
Ultimately the BBC Need to show VFM for the deal, so therefore they will pick ties that they will think we garner larger viewership from Round 3, but in the 1st and 2nd rounds they normally pick really good ties. This deal means it will be more difficult for them to pick interesting ties, rather than popular ties

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
So for the next few years now football is largely tied down its contracts. Just the EFL Highlights contract left I think for next season.

Premier league - 215 on Sky, 52 on TNT and Highlights BBC Sport until 29.
EFL - Over 1,000 matches on Sky, FTA Highlights not announced until 29.
FA Cup - ITV / BBC next season, then BBC / TNT from 25-26 for four years
National league - TNT Sports (unsure how long for)
England matches - Qualifiers, Nations league and Friendlies ITV, BBC / ITV Tournament matches until 28.
Just to add to this.

European club football from next season - Champions league - Amazon (17 Tuesday matches upto semi finals), TNT Sports have all champions league, Europa league and Conference league matches outside of the Amazon deal including all finals and BBC sport have Champions league highlights on Wednesday nights. The Europa League and Conference League I believe will still be exclusive to TNT!