• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

St Lukes vs Wycombe - 1967

tom_ecfc

Wycombe Wanderers did indeed play at SJP before 2000 - on 1 May 1967. Could that have been it? The only thing is that it was against St Luke’s College as part of their centenary season. City fan and history collector Steve Stentiford contacted me to suggest this game. Here’s the programme cover:
View attachment 11098
Martin, would Steve be happy/able to scan his non Exeter City played at SJP programmes for upload onto the Grecian Archive? Also, would he have some of the missing ecfc friendly programmes we could upload too?

(sorry off topic, so i’ll add….hopefully Wycombe produce a decent programme!)

dontpassback

if i recall properly,the student was named les burwitz,who went on to become a professor of sports science,at various universities,and for some strange reason also ended up working on the krypton factor,as an advisor i believe,

tonykellowfan

dontpassback

yep thats certainly him,a very good find mr TKF thanks for that

The deluder

Some top players in both thos teams.

tom_ecfc

Wycombe Wanderers did indeed play at SJP before 2000 - on 1 May 1967. Could that have been it? The only thing is that it was against St Luke’s College as part of their centenary season. City fan and history collector Steve Stentiford contacted me to suggest this game. Here’s the programme cover:
View attachment 11098
Thanks to Martin W who put me in contact with Steve S.

Steve has sent scans of over 50 ecfc reserve and St Luke’s College programmes/teamsheets including the St Luke’s College vs Wycombe Wanderers programme, this can be viewed here on the Grecian Archive - https://grecianarchive.exeter.ac.uk/items/show/16671

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thanks to Martin W who put me in contact with Steve S.

Steve has sent scans of over 50 ecfc reserve and St Luke’s College programmes/teamsheets including the St Luke’s College vs Wycombe Wanderers programme, this can be viewed here on the Grecian Archive - https://grecianarchive.exeter.ac.uk/items/show/16671
Loved reading that programme.
I'd almost forgotten about the Raleigh Restaurant in Waltons and the Hinton Lake shop in the High Street.
Interesting too that St Lukes had been playing Association Football since 1866 - just three years after the first set of rules were written.

Thanks to dontpassback for the original post which, after a few entertaining missteps, let to unearthing this little treasure.
As Alan Pinkney is in the back row for the team photo I'll have to keep guessing as to what colour his other knee was.

Oldsmobile-88

On the subject of St Luke’s College, I recall around 1971 a group of us from Primary School At Exminster went there to watch the Grecians train(which they used on occasions)
iirc our year teacher knew John Newman. It was a great couple of hours in the morning.
As a side note the teacher took all 6 of us in his Citroen CV2 😁

cambmike

Really enjoyed the forward line that year

STURTZ

Really enjoyed the forward line that year
Imagine Dermott Curtis was the usual no. 9?