• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Stuart James... Today's WMN

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Stuart James has a track record of accurate and perceptive reporting of all things City......

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/City-spend-wisely/story-11428214-detail/story.html

and.....

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Crunch-time-Exeter-face-running-credits/story-11481666-detail/story.html

That second story is particularly interesting as it was written at a time (September 2009) when were in League One, yet he identifies failings that we are still talking about today....

"Are the tactics right? Two of Exeter's more creative players are Ryan Harley and Marcus Stewart, they are often deployed wide in midfield in a 4-5-1 formation. Stewart is not a wide player and his tackle on Barry Fuller on Saturday smacked of a "striker's challenge". Harley was so anonymous he may as well have stayed at home, but what can a creative midfield player do when stuck on the flank? Surely a wide position is a role for a winger, not a midfielder or striker.

As a result, City are struggling to create chances. They literally had only one attempt on target at Leeds, which they scored from, one at Carlisle, a penalty that they also scored from, but nothing on target at Gillingham, hence no goals. In three away games, it is a worrying statistic, but then, the strikers are hardly being given any kind of service, especially from out wide, from where the quality of crosses that are coming into the box are so, so poor."

David Treharne

Yes, Pete, Stuart does have a long history of perceptive journalism re: Exeter City. It does however beget the question what are you and your fellow Trustees doing to put this view across to the Club Board? The views expressed on Exeweb might well be a minority, but they are a vocal minority, and from where I sit they seem to represent a valid view point of view. It doesn't seem the time to be silent or complacent about what's going on on the pitch, or at selection. A look at the Division Two table this morning would suggest that as a result of poor form we are rapidly sliding down the table, a fact for which there ought to be some form of corporate responsibility at what is supposed to be a fans owned club.

DanceMagnet

Excellent article. Right on the money!

Ian Mancey

Yes, Pete, Stuart does have a long history of perceptive journalism re: Exeter City. It does however beget the question what are you and your fellow Trustees doing to put this view across to the Club Board? The views expressed on Exeweb might well be a minority, but they are a vocal minority, and from where I sit they seem to represent a valid view point of view. It doesn't seem the time to be silent or complacent about what's going on on the pitch, or at selection. A look at the Division Two table this morning would suggest that as a result of poor form we are rapidly sliding down the table, a fact for which there ought to be some form of corporate responsibility at what is supposed to be a fans owned club.
Well said David and to everyone else that are voicing their concerns!

I had a conversation with Julian Tagg last season; he was telling me he and Paul Tisdale were upset with the criticism and the taking us down chants from the fans!
He didn't understand that he should take on board what the fans are saying, worried about or wanted!
He definitely didn't understand why the club should be more concerned with the fans that have done their talking with their feet, and no longer come!

Last Saturday was a great opportunity to add another 500 possibly 1000 to the next home game!
IMPO, and I will be there, we will be lucky to get a 3000 gate next home game.

I honestly believe; the club, owners and stake holders must be happy with results, attendances etc.
If you can make £1.75m from failing, they must believe they are doing it right?
Imagine what we could make with success???

Pete Martin (CTID)

I am sure that the view will be transmitted by the four Trustees that now sit on the club board, although, as you are aware, I am not one of them.

Whilst patently not the Supporters' Trust, when the Supporters' Club invited Edward Chorlton to its meeting in July last year (about a week before he left) he was asked if last season's form had been raised with PT by the Club Board. This is the inter-alia quote from the minutes of that meeting.....

"Several members of the Committee present outlined their concerns about the consistently poor home form and the knock on effects. Edward was asked if this had been raised with the manager and he assured the meeting that the Board had done so, although he didn’t elaborate on this."

Other than raising it with the Football Manager and reiterating the concern, I am not sure what can constructively be done. Without the Trust Board having any knowledge whether there are any minimum performance targets set or ongoing appraisal interviews undertaken, it is difficult to come to any further conclusion.

Did the Trust/Club Boards have any of this knowledge during your time as Trust and Club Board Chairman and, latterly, as a Trustee David?

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

I am sure that the view will be transmitted by the four Trustees that now sit on the club board, although, as you are aware, I am not one of them.
That's some cop-out Pete. Perhaps, as probably one of the most active BOSsers on the forum, you'll ensure the point Dr Dave was making will be put forward to the four just in case they haven't seen these boards of late?

Pete Martin (CTID)

That's some cop-out Pete. Perhaps, as probably one of the most active BOSsers on the forum, you'll ensure the point Dr Dave was making will be put forward to the four just in case they haven't seen these boards of late?
Fear not! I can assure you that I am already on the case Ant.

Antony Moxey

Good work Pete, I never doubted you for a second. ;)

Taz

As I messaged Stu this morning; I think this was a brilliant piece and in no way 'media hype'; I love the way he just put down the clear stats... and let the reader make up their own mind about the situation. Great Journalism from a great lad (that doesn't mean you can send me any plates etc... Stu ;o) ). I just wonder if he will be welcome at any of the future 'press conferences'?

Ps. Was flattered he used my Einstein quote too...

Last edited:

ECFC Music

I don't think the views expressed on Exeweb regarding team performances,selections,tactics etc are in a minority but a minority of supporters are giving vent to these views.