• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Stuart James... Today's WMN

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well said Stuart James, take a bow.

Now we collectively need to keep the pressure on the club to enforce change. And by change I mean exciting, attacking home football that wins games. If Tisdale can deliver, fair enough, but if not the club now have the funds to act.

denzil

I don't think the views expressed on Exeweb regarding team performances,selections,tactics etc are in a minority but a minority of supporters are giving vent to these views.
Yes the silent ones probably don't give a toss any more - I can name 25+ from my own personal acquaintance. There must loads like it fed up with poor performances year in year out, the season ticket debacle/increase etc.

David Treharne

Did the Trust/Club Boards have any of this knowledge during your time as Trust and Club Board Chairman and, latterly, as a Trustee David?
I can obviously only speak about the period up until February 2006 when I was Chair, as thereafter successive Trust Chairs would be the people to ask as they would have had direct access to the Club Board. At the time that I was Chair we had several meetings as a Club Board with Eamon Dolan and for the short period thereafter, Alex Inglethorpe. You are, however, talking about an entirely different incumbency, as both of them were, for the situation that they found themselves in, in my view, woefully under remunerated.
I treasure (yes I do!) the document that Eamon produced at the end of season 2003-2004 outlining what the shortcomings were in both his team, and in us as a Board, with an appended list of what he thought essential if the team were to prosper and grow. It led to a fruitful discussion, and it's difficult to imagine there has been anything like it since. To be fair to Alex the events surrounding the first few weeks of his incumbency were extraordinary, and the only subsequent meeting I had with him was a request for more money to build the squad. As he had just "saved" Exeter City F.C. it seemed a not unreasonable request.
I was not party to any of the interviews when Paul Tisdale was appointed, nor was I party to any discussions that might have taken place surrounding his remuneration package.
I've summarised as best I can events thereafter in the paper that I produced for Sports Science Journal which I think you may have read. In my view certain members of the Trust Board were responsible for leading the Trust away from any significant control over the running of the Club, which they could have maintained but chose not to. This might (but then again might not) have led to a questioning of the current situation at an earlier juncture.
I don't think that a "blood on the tracks" scenario is the way forward, but I would like a much more monitored approach than seems to be the case at the moment, and this includes stripping away the tacit approval and support that the manager receives from a small clique of those involved in the running of the Club. This would include (as it appears to be doing at the moment) a move back to greater accountability to the Trust (which I still think is the best way for our club to be run, even at the danger of receiving "he would say that wouldn't he" comments.)

Last edited:

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thank you for that detailed reply David. Very illuminating and helpful information.

grecian55

The sooner the "Board/Trust " people realise that a lot more people are going to vote with their feet and not return until significant changes in the way the club is run ,including Managerial ,the better ?
I have been a Football supporter for over 50 years and love going to SJP but my resolve is being tested by every dire home performance ,i know quite a few people who have vowed not to return until a change of Manager is in place ,
Sort it out for the good of "Our " club.

elginCity

Reading between the lines of the former Chairman's reply above, think we can safely assume pre-2006 there were no minimum performance targets/regular appraisal of the manager in place.

Unlikely to have been brought in post-2006, Norrie was focused on off-field affairs, so who would dare to introduce them now?

Barum

As for the "growing a pair" comment, that has to be my most hated phrase used on these boards.
FFS ..This is a football forum, not some PC namby-pamby left wing forum discussing next year's environmental policy. Get over it.

The sooner the "Board/Trust " people realise that a lot more people are going to vote with their feet and not return until significant changes in the way the club is run ,including Managerial ,the better ?
I have been a Football supporter for over 50 years and love going to SJP but my resolve is being tested by every dire home performance ,i know quite a few people who have vowed not to return until a change of Manager is in place ,
Sort it out for the good of "Our " club.
I have said this on previous threads but it is worth repeating. Only a few years ago about 7 of us went regularly and most within that had season tickets. Now, only 2-3 of us go, none have season tickets and we do not attend all the games. Indeed, none of us went to the recent Cambridge home game and for me it was a decision not to go, I was around but chose not to. A few years ago such a thought would have been unimaginable. However, you can only watch (and pay handsomely) to watch the same dross week in, week out for so long.

geoffwp

FFS ..This is a football forum, not some PC namby-pamby left wing forum discussing next year's environmental policy. Get over it.
I can't see what on earth the fact it is a football forum has anything at all to do with testicles. Perhaps you might explain?

I don't know if David T would be prepared to share it, but I would be very interested, for purely historical reasons, to read some of Alex Inglethorpe's critique that he mentions.

grecIAN Harris

So it's good for WMN to drag up a story from Exeweb but not The E&E? Whilst I am more than aware that one time Exewebber Forever 7 has some very valid points in his story it's ironic that he is getting lauded for it on here because it is the same tune that 'the moaners' are singing. I've noted the thread slating The Echo which begs a question, is Stuart James writing from the heart or is just trying to be cute to up his own readership based on the back of an Exeweb thread which, as I suggested earlier, The E&E gets slated for time and again. Is it possible that certain Exeweb members want their cake and be able to eat it just because it suits?