• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread 2023

Grecianpasty

Carl Winchester should be our prime target. Experienced promotion from this league a couple years ago. Can play centre mid or right back/wing back. season on loan at shrewsbury last year.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Rumour is McDonald doesn’t fancy it
IIRC he was quoted as saying that it would be a decision for the family. How do you (with a toddler and a new born) fancy moving hundreds of miles to a place where you know no-one ? Would you prefer to be somewhere where you know friends and family and have a support network?

If MacDonald was going to sign, the sensible thing would have been to get the deal done and be sorting accommodation etc for the family in time for pre season training in five weeks time. As of today, not looking good. A real blow.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
So far as we approach June what we know is that GC wants to sign 8-11 players this close season. One is a goalkeeper. It is also reported that he would also like to resign Jevani Archie Josh Big Mac and he may try and get another loan out of Fulham for Jay Stansfield.

We apparently have been talking to Ben Purrington and are also trying to entice Josh Sheehan away from Bolton. So that is 7 names of the 11. Other than Exeweb pin sticking speculation we have had no further links from what I can see. 3 (more as others reject our offers) outfield players min to be identified and a goalkeeper.

The league season has now finished both in England and Scotland so players can concentrate on their futures. 25 days until the players return to training!

Going to be a busy June

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
So far as we approach June what we know is that GC wants to sign 8-11 players this close season. One is a goalkeeper. It is also reported that he would also like to resign Jevani Archie Josh Big Mac and he may try and get another loan out of Fulham for Jay Stansfield.

We apparently have been talking to Ben Purrington and are also trying to entice Josh Sheehan away from Bolton. So that is 7 names of the 11. Other than Exeweb pin sticking speculation we have had no further links from what I can see. 3 (more as others reject our offers) outfield players min to be identified and a goalkeeper.

The league season has now finished both in England and Scotland so players can concentrate on their futures. 25 days until the players return to training!

Going to be a busy June
One of the biggest problems Gary has is that despite him having I assume a fairly strong indication from Archie and Josh (probably that they are looking elsewhere) both players agents will seek to wait as long as possible for the best offer. We wont know what the market place best offer to us looks like either meaning Gary doesn't know if he can offer his best target a better package until there is more clarity with those two players. For all we know the potential compensation that club's will have to fork out may work against Archie particularly having played more games and worn the captains armband? I still believe Josh will get a move as I can see club's feeling he has the as yet untapped potential worth taking a punt on. The same can be said for Jevani as Gary is still in limbo hoping that Jev has a court date and a conclusion within the next 6 weeks which I would say is tight

Last edited:

iscalad

One of the biggest problems Gary has is that despite him having I assume a fairly strong indication from Archie and Josh (probably that they are looking elsewhere) both players agents will seek to wait as long as possible for the best offer. We wont know what the market place best offer to us looks like either meaning Gary doesn't know if he can offer his best target a better package until there is more clarity with those two players. For all we know the potential compensation that club's will have to fork out may work against Archie particularly having played more games and worn the captains armband? I still believe Josh will get a move as I can see club's feeling he has the as yet untapped potential worth taking a punt on. The same can be said for Jevani as Gary is still in limbo hoping that Jev has a court date and a conclusion within the next 6 weeks which I would say is tight
I suspect there would be a sign by date on any contract offer. ie sign by 14th June or goodbye.

Grecian Max

Going to be a busy June
Good summarisation, however I think we're further away from the 11 number than that.

Sounds like Key will go
MacDonald starting to look unlikely

Jevani & Stanno - I have a gut feeling we will end up with one of these
Archie is apparently 50/50 according to echo - I expect he will sign as his form dipped quite badly and I don't think he'd have got the attention he wanted

Grecian Max

I suspect there would be a sign by date on any contract offer. ie sign by 14th June or goodbye.
Indeed, I really don't think GC will mess about with this, he seems like someone who will want to move on quickly and be pragmatic.

ECFC89

The people I know at the club say it won’t be a busy June at all. We have to wait for the price to come down. We have to shop around. We invariably don’t get our first targets.

This all leads to fans bemoaning our lack of activity, panicking we won’t have anyone at the start of the season, which we always do, and that they won’t be good enough. Most of the time they are.
And after we’ve all done the moaning and the being fearful of a relegation scrap we re start the endless debate about how our model can’t work in league one.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
The people I know at the club say it won’t be a busy June at all. We have to wait for the price to come down. We have to shop around. We invariably don’t get our first targets.

This all leads to fans bemoaning our lack of activity, panicking we won’t have anyone at the start of the season, which we always do, and that they won’t be good enough. Most of the time they are.
And after we’ve all done the moaning and the being fearful of a relegation scrap we re start the endless debate about how our model can’t work in league one.
FWIW, I think we are more likely to flirt with the bottom four than top 7 but that's a conversation for another day and thread.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

Which is exactly what we did with Tisdale.