• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread 2023

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did I say that?
No, I said that. You said 'Goalkeepers shouldn’t be the top earners in my book'

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
I do wonder whether dear old BF, back in his schooldays, was one of those poor lads who the last to be picked and then stuck in goal just to keep him out of the way? :p

PS: Going back to Jamal, perhaps his remuneration was based on price per metre?

Bat Fastard

I do wonder whether dear old BF, back in his schooldays, was one of those poor lads who the last to be picked and then stuck in goal just to keep him out of the way? :p

PS: Going back to Jamal, perhaps his remuneration was based on price per metre?
My schoolboy goalkeeping career is irrelevant….merely commenting on the posts above stating Blackman was far and away our top earner. I think a distribution of that playing budget may have yielded a better return.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
My schoolboy goalkeeping career is irrelevant….merely commenting on the posts above stating Blackman was far and away our top earner. I think a distribution of that playing budget may have yielded a better return.
I think it's just a case of basic economics. When a buyer is desperate (which we were at the time), the seller can name their price.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think it's just a case of basic economics. When a buyer is desperate (which we were at the time), the seller can name their price.
That would seem a logical explanation. A failure of planning last Summer it would seem

Leads

I think it's probably relevant that it was a one-year contract. The club would have been happier to pay more per week when they know they wouldn't be locked in for 2/3 years.

Bat Fastard

True, perhaps the club is expecting/hoping lee to come through and take the role, hence the short term deals

scottus86

Let’s hope we can get someone in on a deal instead of being held over the barrel at the last minute then. Goalkeepers shouldn’t be the top earners in my book
One of the most important positions in mine.

Trapdoor

Goalkeepers are one of the most important people on the pitch, but they also dont typically command as high wages as strikers. I think we should expect to pay as much for a keeper as we do for a striker, but for that money the keeper should be our best player on the pitch. Jamal was not our best player on the pitch. He wasn't even close. Cam Dawson on the other hand absolutely could have been.

Jamal did not represent good value for money, Cam definitely did.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
If, as expected, Collins and Key leave, and with Sparks seemingly out of favour and could also leave, will we start to see less academy graduates in the team from next season? MJ has also left, and I don't know of any player close to breaking into the first team currently. Although, I hadn't really heard of Grimes or Storey before they made their debuts so could be wrong.
Storey in particular came right out of the blue as did his move on to PNE.
He went out on loan three times (Bideford, Tiverton and Dorchester) oddly Grimes never went out on loan.