• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The BBC

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Incidentally, new Gladiators. Hosting duo of a woman and a black man replaced by two straight white men, one of them old.

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ok, I'll throw down a glove...

Please name me of one instance when someone that isn't straight, white, male & old has been replaced by someone that is all of those things. And that's not just in radio. I'll be generous and say any area of media.

If you can't, then please give the next best example.
Is this ever? Or just since it become a problem in your imaginary world?

Stelios

Incidentally, new Gladiators. Hosting duo of a woman and a black man replaced by two straight white men, one of them old.
Gladiator 'ref' Clattenburg also had some 'interesting' opinions about women referees and fitness on a podcast a few years ago

Stelios

Hawksbee and Jacobs are very good indeed.
A welcome respite from the click-bait merchants and 'ex-pros'. And they've had lives/careers beyond football. Last of a dying breed I fear.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Greg James is younger than Grimshaw. So not total box tickery.
Genuine question, why do you care so much?

It seems to me fairly logical that, in general, when an old person leaves a role a younger person might succeed them. And yes, there's a good chance that a white, straight male may be replaced by a woman (shock!), gay person (horror!), or someone of another race or ethnicity (won't somebody think of the children!), because the former have been over-represented at the expense of the latter since, well since forever, and because wider society now contains a greater proportion of non-white & openly gay folk then ever before.

Why does it matter so much to you?

And if it does, there's one of the big two political parties who you should really be able to get behind if you like your political leaders old, white, male and straight (and it ain't the Tories)...

Last edited:

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
And that's how much older than Bruce?
You said old, Not older. By the way if they wanted to replace Ken Brice with someone older, They'd needed to dig up JY or Fluff Freeman!

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ok, I'll throw down a glove...

Please name me of one instance when someone that isn't straight, white, male & old has been replaced by someone that is all of those things. And that's not just in radio. I'll be generous and say any area of media.

If you can't, then please give the next best example.
Has it occurred to you that one of the reasons this is so difficult is exactly because the overwhelming majority of those in prime roles in the UK media are straight, white, male, and old?! Please give me one instance of a female manager of an EFL club being replaced by a male one – the fact that you won't be able to doesn't demonstrate 'political correctness gone mad' but quite the opposite.

Notwithstanding the above, Bradley Walsh took over from Paul O'Grady / Lily Savage as presenter of Blankety Blank! ;)

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jordan North leaving Radio 1 drivetime. Being replaced by the straight, white, male and one year older than him (!) Jamie Laing.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jordan North leaving Radio 1 drivetime. Being replaced by the straight, white, male and one year older than him (!) Jamie Laing.
Well I guess Jamie Laing could do with the money.