• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Impact of Volunteers and the benefit of Trust Ownership

Andy Holloway

The volunteers do great work and it's one of the things that attracted me to this club in the first place not being from the area. I feel strongly about how clubs should be run and often despair at the total apathy and lack of involvement at many clubs from both the board and the fans but at Exeter you've proved the model, despite having obvious issues, is workable. The main aspect of it all is the respect I have for you lot as fans when the cack was hitting the fan. Instead of moaning and whining about your predicament you got off your arses and did something about it. There are a whole host of fans from clubs who could learn a lot from this attitude and passion.

I've thought about volunteering myself but can't see what I would / could do given i'm only going to attend a dozen or less home games a season and I don't live in the area. If anyone has any suggestions how I can help in any small way on a voluntary basis given those restrictions then please do let me know. I'd be happy to.

Superb from those who give up their time for the red cause.
Lego,

Something that only takes about 10 minutes and is always a great help is, to remain behind after a game and help clear the stands. I think you said that you stand on the BB, well there are usually about 5/6 of us clearing there so you would be very welcome to lend a hand. We provide bin liners and it's always a bit healthier if you put a couple of pairs of petrol station gloves in your pocket, as not all the rubbish is clean!
Looking forward to seeing you at your first match next season.

Last edited:

Legohead

Banned
Lego,

Something that only takes about 10 minutes and is always a great help is, to remain behind after a game and help clear the stands. I think you said that you stand on the BB, well there are usually about 5/6 of us clearing there so you would be very welcome to lend a hand. We provide bin liners and it's always a bit healthier if you put a couple of pairs of petrol station gloves in your pocket, as not all the rubbish is clean!
Looking forward to seeing you at your first match next season.
Sounds like something I could do. Might help me lose a few pounds too. :$ Thanks Andy. What's the routine then, just hang about on the bank until everyone has dispersed and then i'll see you lot?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I had a thought, for those who can't make it to volunteer or support the working parties in person why don't the club/Trust publish a list, like a wedding list, of things that are needed (pots of paint x 10 @£10ea, spade x2 @ £10ea etc.) and can be bought for the club by the fans via some online system (I haven't completely thought this through as you may have noticed)

That way you allow expats/exiles or those that can't/can't be arsed to volunteer the opportunity to help out.
I rather like the idea of knowing I've 'sponsored' a shovel for the ground staff, or paid for a flood light bulb and a tin of yellow hatching paint.
A good idea. We get approached occasionally, and we've bought goal nets and a new Grecian the Lion suit in recent seasons, for example.

We could extend that so that users have this site could donate in a paypal account and that money is then passed on.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I had a thought, for those who can't make it to volunteer or support the working parties in person why don't the club/Trust publish a list, like a wedding list, of things that are needed (pots of paint x 10 @£10ea, spade x2 @ £10ea etc.) and can be bought for the club by the fans via some online system (I haven't completely thought this through as you may have noticed)

That way you allow expats/exiles or those that can't/can't be arsed to volunteer the opportunity to help out.
I rather like the idea of knowing I've 'sponsored' a shovel for the ground staff, or paid for a flood light bulb and a tin of yellow hatching paint.
Excellent idea and to be fair even those of us that live fairly close may not have the time to spare when there is a work party on etc .

dontpassback

I think there are a lot of fans who wish they could get involved with their club like we do.on a different tack,I see that a new food kiosk is going to be built by the big bank entrance which involves knocking the brickwork about.does that include the bricks with people's names on,and are they going to be put back ?

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
A good idea. We get approached occasionally, and we've bought goal nets and a new Grecian the Lion suit in recent seasons, for example.
We could extend that so that users have this site could donate in a paypal account and that money is then passed on.
And that's a good idea as well. Would be happy to contribute a bit this way.

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
Really like the case studies on the trust website for volunteer week. (y)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Other than paypal, is there a website with cheap overheads that we could use for people to make donations?

mumbo

Some great ideas.....here's another.....

On the weekend of 1st & 2nd July there's a Work Party at SIP.

The plan is to wash the hoardings, pull weeds, prepare & paint the BB barriers, it's quite an ambitious list so if you're able to spare so few hours please join us.

If you can't join us but would like to help then your idea of sponsoring equipment would be most welcome.

We'll need all sorts - paintbrushes, sandpaper, buckets, brooms etc etc .

Mark Latham , our Stadium Manager is organising the weekend so I'll ask him for a wish list & share it with you
so you can decide what to do next.

Our volunteering ethos, whether we support by giving our time or our money...or both.....is part of what sets us apart from many of our rivals in League 2. Visiting Directors are amazed that we not only have so many volunteers but that they are so loyal, they want to know our secret.

My answer is always that we came so close to losing our Club that we value it but most importantly our supporters are special.....proud to be a Grecian!

Elaine.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Some great ideas.....here's another.....

On the weekend of 1st & 2nd July there's a Work Party at SIP.

The plan is to wash the hoardings, pull weeds, prepare & paint the BB barriers, it's quite an ambitious list so if you're able to spare so few hours please join us.

If you can't join us but would like to help then your idea of sponsoring equipment would be most welcome.

We'll need all sorts - paintbrushes, sandpaper, buckets, brooms etc etc .

Mark Latham , our Stadium Manager is organising the weekend so I'll ask him for a wish list & share it with you
so you can decide what to do next.

Our volunteering ethos, whether we support by giving our time or our money...or both.....is part of what sets us apart from many of our rivals in League 2. Visiting Directors are amazed that we not only have so many volunteers but that they are so loyal, they want to know our secret.

My answer is always that we came so close to losing our Club that we value it but most importantly our supporters are special.....proud to be a Grecian!

Elaine.
Same weekend as the beer and sausage fest at the Park.. (beer)(beer)(beer)