• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Impact of Volunteers and the benefit of Trust Ownership

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
The club are asking fans to volunteer their time to help paint the stands,but also for fans to buy paint brushes, sand paper,brooms,etc which I just felt the club should provide and not the fans.
The club aren't asking for fans to buy brushes, etc - if you read the whole thread you will see that it was an idea from the fans. Mumbo has simply said that would be great if you wanted to.

Nothing to see here, move on folks.

Antony Moxey

I dont want to get involved in this...
But there are many who do, thankfully.

mumbo

It's exactly as Fred Binney's head has said, a response to a generous thought from an Exewebber, absolutely nothing more.

I've passed on the list to Hants Red, so if you want to go ahead please contact him & many thanks in advance.

Elaine

Legohead

Banned
The club has a finite pot of money. The fans, or rather some fans, want to do their bit and help out their club, and by help out that also means financially as some who'd like to help are not able to get to the ground and flick a brush around the place. What better way if you can't help physically than to do it financially? Of course this also means that the club's finite pot gets to be used elsewhere and not just on brushes and sandpaper.

The chairman's personal circumstances are irrelevant.
Totally agree with this.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I dont altogether understand your comment above, ramone. Its hard to tell if you're jumping to "Julians" defence, or agreeing with the original point. Eitherway, I dont see anything wrong with Northern Reds mild observation, which unfortunately is being ramped up as its getting passed along. He (NR) is after all only saying what I (and I'm sure a lot of other exewebbers) think. I dont want to get involved in this in a big way, since I dont want to be blamed for putting potential volunteers off. That said, I wouldnt mind knowing what Julian actually does in an actual working day, if you know?
Yes i'll jump to his defence as he isn't here to do so himself (unless i'm actually Julian Tagg in disguise !!)

I think that put it forward if I cant get there to do the work myself due to my own work then I was quite willingly able to pay for some of the stuff that may be needed in order for others to carry out the work at SJP .

I don't see lots of other exewebbers saying anything like you put forward in your statement.

You normally cant get involved in anything that goes on at the club like this due to distance after all its works like this that are carried out by the minority for the majority benefit you know real fans !

If you do a quick google search (hope they have google in the U S of A ) you'll find Julian runs a couple of companies which have nothing to do with Exeter City which is probably why he can afford to run around in a posh car with a private plate !

P.S. even my old workvan has a private plate they are cheap over here nowadays.

Last edited:

Andy Holloway

JFK once said these immortal words;

And so, my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you -- ask what you can do for your country.

Maybe we could change them to read;

And so, my fellow Grecians, ask not what your club can do for you -- ask what you can do for your club.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's the point though Andy its not like helping out at the club is a new thing is been going on since the old spot was in a portacabin from my memory and probably well before that time.

I remember clearing up tables and ashtrays afterwards to help the bar staff get away to their own families.

If people don't want or haven't the time to get involved by either painting and cleaning up the place or chucking a few quid in then no problem.

Last edited:

Northern Red

The club has a finite pot of money. The fans, or rather some fans, want to do their bit and help out their club, and by help out that also means financially as some who'd like to help are not able to get to the ground and flick a brush around the place. What better way if you can't help physically than to do it financially? Of course this also means that the club's finite pot gets to be used elsewhere and not just on brushes and sandpaper.

The chairman's personal circumstances are irrelevant.
Maybe the chairman's wealth is what is stopping more fans helping out ?

I think its pretty amazing the amount of volunteers the club have for a professionally run business.

As a City fan I applaud everyone of the volunteers. UTC

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster

I think its pretty amazing the amount of volunteers the club have for a professionally run business.

As a City fan I applaud everyone of the volunteers. UTC
I'll take you back a couple of years when there was a risk of a game not going ahead due to the weather the night before.

Cant remember the game but someone will on here there was a heavy snowfall and frozen walkways all round SJP that morning and the safety personnel were saying if it couldn't be cleared before 12 o'clock the game would have to be called off, Now for the people who had travelled miles including the away support it would have been a real pain in the rear.

Now I turned up at 7AM pretty much one the first ones there to start clearing paths and the Big Bank steps of snow and ice and low and behold there was our "wealthy" chairman sleeves rolled up shovelling rock salt around the areas and organising people into different locations to help out. Once we had the rocksalt down on the worse areas it needed to be compacted / crushed in to become effective, Once again Julian got in a 4x4 jeep thing and was driving up and down making sure it got down to the ice underneath so as others could go behind with shovels to clear as much as possible.

Our Chairman may have a few quid from his other business ventures and he is certainly always around and approachable and like some of the volunteers will if needed get stuck in.

As far as the amount of volunteers bit goes when there is a local business that needs a helping hand every so often there will a community around it to help out.

Antony Moxey

Utter rubbish. Sorry if that appears harsh or rude but to be honest it's pretty much the stupidest thing I've read on here in years.