• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Next Exeter City First Team Manager Thread

Average Joe

Back in the 90's I knew someone who worked for the club. They dealt with applications for the manager's job on two occasions. Both times they got over 120 people apply. However, about 20 were from Argyle fans taking the mickey. Others were from people who had run junior teams who honestly thought they should be given a chance. About 30 were from people who had played the game and about 20 from people with some managerial experience but were out of work. This was at a time when the club was in a total mess but 20 were serious candidates. At the same time, I came across Ian Newell at a couple of meetings, who now owns Pasoti. He gleefully showed me a copy of the application he sent in. He had the cheek to complain that he didn't get a reply!
One of my very early memories was the club announcing at half time that applications were open for the manager position and Plymouth fans need not apply. I was about 7 so probably early 90's. Crazy

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
So was MT at the time, I thought it was the easy option. Perhaps it was the easy option, but it worked out well. Perhaps this “model” does work and people who know the club are better suited to ECFC? Without sounding condescending are we professional enough to go out and get an established manager? Is doing what we do a clever move or as they say the only thing we know?
In 2006, iirc, the shortlist was four. Three were, or had been, established managers at FL level and then there was Paul Tisdale, manager of Team Bath. The x3 experienced league managers were unsuccessful.

Despite it eventually turning sour, the inexperienced candidate was with us for 12 years.

Exehausted

One of my very early memories was the club announcing at half time that applications were open for the manager position and Plymouth fans need not apply. I was about 7 so probably early 90's. Crazy
Yes, they did say Argyle fans need not apply, but some still did!

Memphis09

Hopefully a better manager than he was player! He was good at picking the ball out of the net mind you.
And getting sent off

Mr Jinx

So with Matt Taylor confirmed as gone, who's most likely to fill his shoes?

Wondering if there's any merit in this article?:

Some interesting names in there!

denzel

Please not Artell.

Trapdoor

Oh just what we need. Another thread...

Grecianpasty

I like that article, and from a journalist with sound knowledge of the club and our level.

I don't see Dan Green as an option, purely because he has recently left and up-rooted elsewhere. He would be my first choice though.

I'm not convinced with Nicholson, purely due to his tenor as manager at Torquay. Although I'm sure he has learnt a lot since then, and knows the club well.

David Artell would be the obvious outside bet, particularly due to his reputation for developing youth. The downside with him being that relegation from League one is recent on his resume.

I'm excited to see who the club go for, as I feel it may be an unknown quantity. Time will tell!

grecIAN Harris

You have to wonder what they trawled to get that list and how much research they put into it? It doesn't take thirty seconds of research to find out that Fatty Evans or Phil Brown would go down like a sunken submarine at St James Park. There are some interesting names on there that might be a bit left field for anyone to have thought of around here.......... Robbie Fowler or Craig Bellamy for instance.

Last edited:

StudentGrecian

I normally enjoy Gab Sutton’s stuff. But in his verdict section, to suggest Dan Green would come back just to be part of the coaching set up is ludicrous. I don’t think we could even tempt him back to be the #1.