• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Next Exeter City First Team Manager Thread

Andy_H

I cringed when I heard that from The Big Bank. Barnsley already face an FA charge for the same chants to the same physio earlier this season so I think we could be facing a similar charge.
I'm confidently sure the perpetrators of the chant will be more than willing to step forward, identify themselves and then pay any fine the club receives should it come to this.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Everyone loved the man years ago when he got us out the Blue Square Prem and into league one within two years. How it ended was poor from all party’s don’t get me wrong but let’s not forget what success he bought to the club, I for one enjoyed the promotions, staying up in league one against the likes of Leeds, Southampton etc, think the fact SJP was packed every week for that era shows a lot of other people look back at that time fondly
Err....actually, it wasn't. Take a look back at the attendance figures. Crowds grew by an average of about 1,500 during our first season in L1 under Tisdale with the figure dropping back progressively over the next 2 years prior to relegation.

Rosencrantz

Going on track record we don't appoint anyone who has established league management experience. Although Chris Wilder would be nice and was playing our current formation before we were I suspect he has higher sights now than us. Artell would be the closest fit with his experience at Crewe although it ultimately went the way we want to avoid with dropping quickly back to L2 when they lost key players.

I would be more drawn towards a non league manager looking to step up, there have been a few mentioned already or someone who is already in coaching or an U21 manager looking to step up whether in or out of work right now.

Matt Phillips

I'd be keen to see Dan Green making a hasty return, Matt Gill, or the other Kevin Nicholson (who after leaving our academy set-up has had quite an interesting career, mostly in youth development, but also has a succesful stint managing Bangor).

Not sure I trust our current Kevin Nicholson given his performance at Torquay, or Hill who doesn't strike me as a manager.

Nigel E

Start the recruitment process and then evaluate where we are once people have applied/been identified as targets. It would feel very deflating to not even consider an external appointment when there is no obvious successor like MT was.
We should already have a shortlist in place that we are using to contact a small number of candidates. If we don't have a ready-made succession plan for the managerial post with a small number (max 6) of targets that would be a major failure on the part of the Board.

Coincidentally, there was a radio interview at Saturday lunchtime with the Chief Executive at Brighton, and he explained how they have succession plans for more than 20 of their key posts, including the first team manager. Hence, why they were in a position to move quickly on replacing Potter, even though his departure came as a surprise. I know they're a bigger club than us, but this should be a standard provision for any business.

Robbie Fowler, Sean Dyche or

Posh area Borehamwood mate, you sure he would want to leave to come to us, which as everyone suggests as we know Exeter is in the middle of nowhere.
Have you been to Borehamwood??? It's not posh but bloody expensive due to close proximity to London. I live in the far more salubrious Elstree!!!

iscalad

On, I believe the Senior Reds thread, Taggy was asked about this and confirmed succession plans are already laid down.

Colesman Ballz

I am not saying it’s the best option but Paul Tisdale is the obvious candidate. He knows how we operate and what’s expected within our financial means. Definitely, categorically no rolling contract though.
There are plenty of misguided people in this world still awaiting the second coming of the Messiah, but there aren't many awaiting the return of a self appointed one wearing a cravat !
Besides the Club couldn't afford to pay for the army of bodyguards that he would demand as part of his contract ! :p

ExmouthMart

There are plenty of misguided people in this world still awaiting the second coming of the Messiah, but there aren't many awaiting the return of a self appointed one wearing a cravat !
Besides the Club couldn't afford to pay for the army of bodyguards that he would demand as part of his contract ! :p
That’s quite a slur on people who have faith. I don’t understand why you loathe him so much. Taylor always mentions him as a massive influence and how many ex players have slagged him off?! He took what he was offered and if no one was strong enough to stand up to him, what does that say about the people in charge?! I believe the Trust had to force the club board to do something about the situation with Tisdale after it was raised at a Trust AGM. If you don’t have strong leadership people take advantage. I am not too bothered about Tisdale and whatever’s gone before but let’s learn from that and not just drift along when things are obviously not working. What’s the one thing everyone knows about Exeter City?! We don’t sack Managers. We ask them if they wouldn’t mind going on gardening leave or some undisclosed agreement. Football is all about results on the pitch. You don’t expect to win all the time but just plodding along hoping for an up turn in fortunes. Who wants that?! Tisdale was given way to long and Taylor would have been sacked after the Northampton game at any other club. Having complete and utter faith in your Manager is admirable but expectations mean the bar is set higher and that should be applied to the new Manager.

Cowshed Grecian

That’s quite a slur on people who have faith. I don’t understand why you loathe him so much. Taylor always mentions him as a massive influence and how many ex players have slagged him off?! He took what he was offered and if no one was strong enough to stand up to him, what does that say about the people in charge?! I believe the Trust had to force the club board to do something about the situation with Tisdale after it was raised at a Trust AGM. If you don’t have strong leadership people take advantage. I am not too bothered about Tisdale and whatever’s gone before but let’s learn from that and not just drift along when things are obviously not working. What’s the one thing everyone knows about Exeter City?! We don’t sack Managers. We ask them if they wouldn’t mind going on gardening leave or some undisclosed agreement. Football is all about results on the pitch. You don’t expect to win all the time but just plodding along hoping for an up turn in fortunes. Who wants that?! Tisdale was given way to long and Taylor would have been sacked after the Northampton game at any other club. Having complete and utter faith in your Manager is admirable but expectations mean the bar is set higher and that should be applied to the new Manager.
Tisdale would be a huge backward step...lets please move on. He's a "has been" manager, and if we are going off managerial records as an appointment, Why would a L1 club in our position appoint a bloke who got Bristol Rovers relegated and was about to take Stevenage down in L2 if they had'nt of chopped him-Look where they are now.